cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing Downgrade

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

In the past, Symantec has allowed our customers who have been current on maintenance of a Server Product like Backup Exec 2010, to migrate across (or Down depending on their chosen term on the day), to Backup Exec SBS 2010 for example at no cost. We have filled out a form and the customer has filled one out and it was done. 

I want to do this for a customer who has both Backup Exec 2010 with maintenance AND Exchange 2010 Agent with Maintenace, to SBS 2010, and they have said they won't allow it and will charge the customer to "upgrade" at a cost of nearly $1000. They said they have removed this ability the way we used to do it, from 2012. 

I am posting here to see if I can verify if the information I have is correct or if I have been misinformed. It seems odd that Symantec would create this restriction.

Thanks for the assistance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

This is Backup Exec forum ,but you can contact licesning support to resolve this issue with you BE and Endpoint licensing to downgrade the licenses

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_information.jsp

Hope that helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

No-One can help with this?

_r___
Level 6
Certified

Is there a specific product are asking about? Backup Exec?

If so, I will move it to one of those forums for better visibility.

Please let me know.

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Backup Exec specifically but also Endpoint Security to Endpoint Small Business Edition.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

This is Backup Exec forum ,but you can contact licesning support to resolve this issue with you BE and Endpoint licensing to downgrade the licenses

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_information.jsp

Hope that helps

Thanks

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi, yes a Symantec Moderator moved it here from the partner forum as I didn't have any response there. 

I have tried contacting our local customer service people and they seemed horribly confused and I think they just said no, because they didn't know for sure. 

Is there a specific person I could contact directly who might have authoritive information on the subject?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

I have sent you one Private Message

Thanks

Sameer

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should contact Symantec Licencing who is the final authority on licencing matters.  Unfortunately Symantec Licencing does not monitor or respond on these fora.   You can contact Symantec Licencing by calling your local Symantec Support number and select option 2.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if the OP was PM'd they will get a notification of this. No need to tell them in the forum as well wink

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Sameer had a conference call today to help resolve the issue with licensing. It would appear the process is underway. To clarify, this is still something that Symantec can do (move you from Backup Exec for Windows to Backup Exec for SBS at no cost and the licensing has not changed for 2012.