cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing Information

asdewq
Level 2

Our company is planning to purchase the product Symantec Backup Exec 2015 Capacity Edition

20 x BACKUP EXEC CAPACITY ED WIN 1 FRONT END TB ONPREMISE STANDARD LICENSE + ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE BUNDLE QTY 16 to 25 INITIAL 12MO CORPORATE

How do I know that this license includes a server, and 20 TB of data.

Perhaps in the future, we will need to install additional Front End BE server and split the amount of data between two servers:

First Server and 10 TB data

Second Server and 10 TB data

Required information, if we can implement this configuration. Can we do it on their own, driving licenses on the portal? Need to buy additional Licenses?

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
For licensing questions, the best source of this information is always the Veritas licensing department which I will point you towards. They are the final authority on this. Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you have quoted is 20 x 1Tb capacity licence so you can download up to 20 TB. When you use capacity licensing, it does not matter how many media servers you set up, it is the total amount data backed I up which matters.

As previously advised, do confirm all these with the Veritas licencing department.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Th ay a capacity licens works is that as sonne as you activoty it on ta BE server install it activates ebeythign i tge product (Capacity Lite activiate slightly less abilities)

As such it armta8ally contains serevr functioanlity form the one SLF file / serial number

As for confirming the number of TB the license portal will show that - OR if you edit the SLF file with Notepad you will also be able to see it as the license count where 1 = 1 TB so 20TB would show a 20 count.

Oh  and if you want to split that 20TB over more than one Backup Exec server then do this in the licensing portal by splitting the license before downloading  the separate SLF files from there as if you use In Product Licensing (where the serial number is used to check with the internet during install) then the first server installed will grab all 20TB

Colin_Weaver

Sorry Colin, I not sure that understand you right.

now I am faced with the choice

1. Buy double licenses

10 x Symantec BACKUP EXEC CAPACITY ED BUNDLE QTY 6 to 15 INITIAL 12MO Corporate (1 year support) 10 x Symantec BACKUP EXEC CAPACITY ED BUNDLE QTY 6 to 15 INITIAL 12MO Corporate (1 year support)

2. Or buy

20 x BACKUP EXEC CAPACITY ED WIN 1 FRONT END TB ONPREMISE STANDARD LICENSE + ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE BUNDLE QTY 16 to 25 INITIAL 12MO CORPORATE

I need make sure, that if i bought second option I can install two servers and split Capacity.

Colin_Weaver

That kind of choice is pure cost and cannot be answered directly on the forum - you need to speak to your reseller - in theory the 20 of the 16-25 band should be cheaper than 2x 10 of 6-15 band

brett_johnson
Level 1
Partner Accredited

Hello,

When purchasing the Capacity Edition of Backup Exec, this allows you to install as much of the product (Server, Agents, Options) as needed to cover your environment.  This means you can install 2 (or more, if needed) Backup Exec servers. 

Capacity Licensing is metered by the amount of Front-End data being protected.  So, if you are purchasing 20TB worth of capacity licensing, this entitles you to backup 20TB front-end data.  (Front-end meaning the data sitting in its native format on the servers that are being backed up).  Whether you buy 20TB all together, or 2 of qty 10, its the same thing as far as licensing is concerned.

Colin_Weaver

I agree that there is no technical difference in purchasing 2x10 of 6-15 vs 1x20 of 16-25 (other  than how too split he downloaded SLF files on the protal if you buy 20 to split) but these are different product purchase  SKUs with different price points so there should be a financial reason