cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing Issues

Beng_Yang_Ang
Level 3
Hi,

I have some licensing questions in mind.

Please pardon and bear with me if this is confusing...

E.g. 1 remote client server have MSSQL Server
> I bought 1 x SQL agent with client access license and continuous protection agent
and 1 x Advanced Open File Option agent with client access license and continous protection agent.

Does that means that I have extra of 1 client access license and 1 continuous protection agent?
Or the client access license and continous protection agent is tied to the agent option?

E.g. 2 How does backup exec server (software) keep track of licensing?
>I installed backup exec client agents on one temp server for testing purposes, how do i free up the licenses for use on other production machine? Just by uninstalling?

Btw, i believed the remote client access option could be bought alone from other "bundle" though its not stated anywhere in Symantec website!?

Thanks alot
3 REPLIES 3

Vikas_Sharma
Level 3
Hello,

Continous Protection Agent is to be used with Continous Protection Server which is a different software from Backup Exec.

Client Access License allows 1 key to enable agent to be installed on multiple servers. The number of servers supported by that key is controlled. The number of servers to be backed up is controlled by the license and you need to specify the same to the Sales while ordering for the license.

SQL agent, if used to backup locally installed SQL DB, allows you to install Remote Agent onto 1 Remote Server and you will be able to backup that remote server without any additional Remote Agent license.

If a remote SQL DB is selected for backup, you will need to install Remote Agent on that server.

If you do not have any Database servers to be protected, then it does not make sense to purchase the database agent. You can simply purchase Remote Agent CAL which enables you to install Remote Agent on multiple servers and back them up.

Backup Exec does not tie a license to any server. Simply uninstall Remote Agent from the server no longer required and install it on a server which is required to be backed up. Only the number of servers being backed up is tracked by Backup Exec.

I hope my answer is not too confusing :)

Regards,

Vikas Sharma

Beng_Yang_Ang
Level 3
Hi Vikas,

I understand what you mean, but lets say we are purely talking about licensing for remote machines.

Assume I have 5 remote MSSQL machines to backup and my reseller quoted something as below:
1) 5 x Backup Exec 10d, Windows Advanced Open File Option with Client Access Licenses and Continuous Protection agent, v10.1,License
2) 5 x Backup Exec 10d, Windows, Microsoft SQL Server Agent with Client Access License and Continuous Protection agent, v10.1,License

Does that means that I have additional 5 copies of Continuous Protection agent; since they are different from and not tied to any Backup Exec Software?

Thanks alot.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi

Assuming your scenario , you will need

1 Backup exec for Windows Servers license Key
5 Agent for Microsoft SQL Server with which you will also get Remote agent CAL,which you have to install on remote MSSQL machines

Assuming you also have Backup exec Continuous Protection Server Software installed on the same server where you have Backup exec for Windows Servers also,you will have to install CPA Continuous Protection agent on all 5 remote MSSQL machines .

--Does that means that I have additional 5 copies of Continuous Protection agent; since they are different from and not tied to any Backup Exec Software?
*Yes

As with BECPS (Backup exec Continuous Protection Server Software ) you can not backup Databses.

Hope this clears all the doubts

Revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri