cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing of VMWare

aschanha
Level 2

I have a Windows server that also hosts virtual machines. Do I require a a windows license and vmare license on this box or does the vmware license come with an integral windows license? Also what licenses are required for each of the VM's (they are also windows boxes)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Confirm with the licensing department, but it should be as follows:

1 x BE Media Server license

2 x Hyper-V licenses (includes unlimited RAWS licenses as per Symantec employee above)

3 x Agent for Applications and Databases (for the SQL servers)

1 x ADRA agent for Active Directory if you want to do a GRT-based backup/restore of AD. Otherwise you don't need an agent license for this.

Just confirm as mentioned...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Chetan_Savade
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

Yes, you would required separate license per VM machine for SEP clients.

Each running instance (physical and/or virtual) must be licensed.

Refer this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-clients-main-computer-os-and-vm-instance

CraigV

SEP? The OP is asking about licensing the VMs for Backup Exec.

Thanks!

CraigV

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license includes the RAWS/RALUS licenses for unlimited Windows/Linux VMs.

And you would require the Backup Exec product license as well if you plan to install Backup Exec on the Windows host.

However, if you plan to backup applications such as SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint & Active Directory, you would require appropriate number of Agent for Applications & Databases licenses as well.

Lastly, would recommend to contact Licensing team @ http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp for further details.

aschanha
Level 2

Could you please have a look at the attachment and explain exactly what licensing and options i would require.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would suggest couple of options...

1) Backup Exec 2012 product license for Physical Server 1
If planning to backup SQL on Physical Server 1, then 1 Agent for Applications & Database license too.

6 Agent for Windows licenses for Physical Server 2, Physical Server 3, Virtual 1, Virtual 2, Virtual 3 & Virtual 4
If planning to backup SQL & AD, then appropriate number of Agent for Applications & Database licenses.

So in summary,
1 Backup Exec 2012 product license
6 Agent for Windows licenses
5 Agent for Applications & Databases

2) Backup Exec 2012 product license for Physical Server 1
If planning to backup SQL on Physical Server 1, then 1 Agent for Applications & Database license too.

2 Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license for Physical 2 & Physical 3 (Assuming Physical 2 & 3 are virtual hosts)
4 Agent for Applications & Database licenses for the apps on each VM.

In summary,
1 Backup Exec 2012 product license
2 Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license
5 Agent for Applications & Databases

Lastly, Licensing folks would be in a better position to confirm this.

CraigV

Confirm with the licensing department, but it should be as follows:

1 x BE Media Server license

2 x Hyper-V licenses (includes unlimited RAWS licenses as per Symantec employee above)

3 x Agent for Applications and Databases (for the SQL servers)

1 x ADRA agent for Active Directory if you want to do a GRT-based backup/restore of AD. Otherwise you don't need an agent license for this.

Just confirm as mentioned...

Thanks!

Chetan_Savade
Level 3
Employee Accredited

My apologize. I felt it's a SEP related thread.