cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing question Backup Exec Remote Agent

Rootman
Level 3
I am somewhat confused as to WHAT exactly the be 10.D Remote Agent License covers. I called Symantec and got tossed from Sales to Support to Renewals and back to Sales and never could get a straight answer.

The actual remote agent license key is inserted into the BACKUP SERVER's license dialog during setup (or after setup with the ADD-REMOVE PROGRAMS -> ADDITIONAL OPTIONS).There is never anywhere to put a license number when installing the Remote Agent Software (RANT) client to any other server. It simply just installs to them.

Question:
Am I licensing the REMOTE BACKUP *MODULE* of the Backup Exec's SERVER.

- OR -

Am I licensing EACH remote server that I intend to backup using the Backup Exec software on the Backup Exec server?

In effect, if I have say 5 servers. I buy ONE license for Backup Exec and ONE license for Remote Agent. I install BE on server #1, I also plug the license number for the Remote Agent into server #1's Backup Exec license page when installing.

I then install the actual Backup Exec Agent onto servers numbers 2 through 5. As a fact, The backup Exec software will let me install the Remote Agent onto as many servers as I want - there is NEVER any license dialog to put the Remote Agent license into. Again, the license number is plugged into the Backup Exec Server's license dialog on the original BE setup and NOT during the actual Remote Agent software installation..

So how many of servers of #2 through #5 can I backup remotely using the ONE license for Remote Agent? One? All Five? Again, am I licensing the REMOTE BACKUP MODULE on the server or each individual Remote Client?

If each remote client why is there never any license installation when actually installing the Remote Agent to the remote server?

I'd please like an answer and possibly a link to an official document stating the license policy.
7 REPLIES 7

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
You're licensing each remote server that you are connecting to for backup, so if you have 5 remote servers which you want to included in your backups, you will need to install 5 remote agent licenses.

Now in practice there is nothing to stop you just installing a single license on the media server and then installing the remote agents on all your servers, since as you have correctly found this does indeed work, however you will not be legally licensed. Effectively the license keys are a legal rather than practical thing.

Rootman
Level 3
Keith,
Thanks for the reply.

Are you a representative of Symantec? Your profile lists you simply an enthusiast.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Nope just a user since the v8.5 days. The Symantec staff all have their own specific symbols, they don't get enthusiast / master / expert / guru symbols.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Further to Keith's reply -

Even when you purchase multiple remote agents under one license, it is all under one serial number. As he said, it's your legal responsibility.

Keep in mind that if you want to back up a workstation - just on a schedule, all closed files - not the Laptop/Desktop Option - you DO NOT need a license to push the remote agent to the workstation.

Cheers

Rootman
Level 3
Does anyone have a link to a Symantec / Veritas document that lays this out? I have yet to get anything from them with any detailed licensing info.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See http://support.veritas.com/docs/245171

Windows XP is a workstation platform. Like all workstation platforms, such as Windows 2000 Professional, there is no need to purchase a Remote Agent License to back up Windows XP operating systems

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
From the Admin Guide ('Remote Agent for Windows Servers section)

"Backup Exec database agents (Exchange, SQL) also INCLUDE a remote agent that allows you to protect one remote Windows server. The Remote Agent license is enabled when you install the database agent ... "

The next para says, esentially, that if your Exchange or SQL is on the SAME physical server as your BE media server, you can then use that included Remote Agent on one other remote Windows server.