cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing requirements

HWAACC
Level 2
Hi,

I want to purchase Backup Exec 2010 however I want to check that what our re-seller is saying we need to purchase is correct.

We have two servers that need backing up,

Server 1: runs Small business server 2003 and runs Exchange and SQL server, both of which we need protected
Server 2: runs windows server 2008 and is a file server that contains company data.

our re-seller quoted us for:
* two licenses of backup exec 2010
* Exchange Agent
* Remote Agent

I'm not sure why we would need two licenses for backup exec and a remote agent, we only wish to install backup exec on one server and backup some files remotely

so having read through symantecs website though, I've concluded it would be better for us to purchase:
*one Backup exec for small business server license
*Remote agent

I would then install BE on the server running SBS 2003 and configure BE to remotely backup the files stored on the Sever 2008 machine.

The SBS addition of backup exec can apparently backup exchange and SQL out of the box so i wouldn't need to purchase those agents seperately.

if i went with my own recommendation would it;

A. meet the symantec licensing requirements
B. Work

Finally a note that the file server is actually part of a DFS replication group would this affect the backup in anyway?

thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6

You require BE2010 SBS License with 1 remote agent license for the file server (2 Licenses). BE SBS license will take care of SQL and Exchange and the the drives on the server and the remote agent will take care of the file server.

We need to install BE2010 on SBS

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6

You require BE2010 SBS License with 1 remote agent license for the file server (2 Licenses). BE SBS license will take care of SQL and Exchange and the the drives on the server and the remote agent will take care of the file server.

We need to install BE2010 on SBS

Hope this helps...

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
so in total you need 1 SBS license and 1 raws agent for ws 2008
DFS replication will not affect the backup.Purchase a SBS license and install it on the SBS 2003 so it will backup all itself with exchange and sql as all these agents come with sbs license.
You only need 1 raws to backup the 2008 server

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
DFS replication will not affect the backup.

HWAACC
Level 2
Thank you all for your help