cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitation du nombre de version

Ghost46
Level 4

Bonjour,

Je suis entrain d'installer au seins de mon entreprise un serveur qui servira a la sauvegarde sur bande de données d'autre serveur mais celle solution devant être une solution a long terme je souhaiterais limiter le nombre de version d'un fichier..
Par exemble si il y a 6 version d'un fichier qui sont sauvegarder, la versino numéro 1 (donc la plus ancienne) serais supprimer.

Merci d'avance pour vos réponses :)

27 REPLIES 27

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This can be done. You need to adjust the retention period of your backup sets so that the oldest backup set expires before the start of the seventh job. This way the seventh job will overwrite the oldest backup or create a new backup set as after the oldest backup set has been deleted

Ghost46
Level 4

Plus précisement je voudrais faire cela car ça offre une plus grande periode de marge en reduisant l'espace pris par les données si le fichier a était modifié 6 fois en 3 semaines ce fichier ne sera présent que 6 fois et et la système au moment de la 6ème sauvegarde supprime la 5ème.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can set Backup Exec to remove old backup sets based on the expiration date, but it cannot be set to remove based on number of versions.

Ghost46
Level 4

I have see that is possible in the older version of backup exec but i search in all of the web and i havn't foudn how take this

VJware
Level 6

Older version of Backup Exec had an integrated solution for desktops & laptops (DLO) which removed the backups based on number of versions. Are you referring to this feature or core backup exec ?

Ghost46
Level 4

Yes (sorry my english it's not so good)

Exactly i wnan t to take a backup, this backup save all data on the first complete save and after every day he save the file who was modified. When (for exemple) a file word was edited 6 times i want automaticly the first version of the word file save was delleted

VJware
Level 6

If you are referring to DLO, then it is no longer an integrated feature of Backup Exec. It has become a separate product. And in DLO, backup sets are maintained based upon their revisions / versions.

Ghost46
Level 4

From what version the dlo was not incorporated with backup exec ?

Ghost46
Level 4

Because if i have understand this manipulation :

1 On the Tasks menu, click Manage Backup Destination.
2 On the Manage Backup Destination dialog box, click Settings.
3 Select Limit fileversionsfor fileand folder backups,andthentypeanumber
between 1 and 99.(in a doc for backupexec 2013)
Is not possible to take this on my BackupExec server 2014 ?

VJware
Level 6

Thanks for the clear explanation.

DLO is separate from BE 2012 onwards.

However, what you have described does not apply to DLO nor does this apply to Backup Exec.

It applies to a separate product called as Symantec System Recovery (previously it was called Backup Exec System Recovery) and it can still be done in this product - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH54406

Ghost46
Level 4

Thank's but i work in the version 2014 of backup exec your doc is only for the version 2011, 2012 and 2013 no ?

VJware
Level 6

That doc is for Symantec System Recovery. It is a different product from Backup Exec 2014.

The steps which you mentioned "Limit fileversionsfor fileand folder backups" applies only to Symantec System Recovery  and the latest version of this product is SSR 2013 R2.

This step is not and was never available in Backup Exec.

Symantec System Recovery has versions 2010, 2011 & 2013

Symantec Backup Exec has versions 2010, 2012, 2014 and 15

Ghost46
Level 4

Ok and no solution similar to this exist on backup exect ? for create a limit of version for a file ?
If that no exist, if i want take a limitation i need obligatory take an expiration date for the differencial save or take a new band and restart a complete save and differencial ?

VJware
Level 6

On Backup Exec, the backup sets are kept or removed based on the date and not versions.

This article will give you a good understanding as to how the backup sets are kept or removed - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/automated-disk-management-and-data-retention-backup-exec-dlm-or-data-lifecycle-management

Ghost46
Level 4

Scuze me but i haver an other question, i have create an exclusion but i don't found how aply this exclusion in everywhere and not on a specific path

VJware
Level 6

What type of exclusion are you trying to add and is this for a specific backup or for all backups ?

Ghost46
Level 4

it's for all backup and it's an exclusion for the not use file for 1 day and i prefer if it's possible apply this exclusion 1 by one backup

VJware
Level 6

For all backup excludes, you should use a "Global Exclude". This can be done from BE button - Configuration & Settings - Job Defaults - Exclude Selections.

For just one backup job, you will have to remove the exclusion manually after the backup completes.

Ghost46
Level 4

I'm agree with you but when i configure the paramètre of the exclusion i need obligatory specify a path otherwise i can't apply this. My question is what can i specify for the path for this exclusion is activated in all of data saved in the backup ?