cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting backup space

Seagya
Level 4
Is there a way to limit the amount of a drive backup exec uses? Right now I have it set to only save 1 weeks worth of backups but it won't release the weeks worth until the end of the week. This in turn can use up all my drive speace and pause my CPS from running because there is zero amount of space for it. Is there a suggested method to backup up every night incremental, then weekly disk to disk, and then also back up the disk to disk to tape? I have it already set up but I just get the feeling that i could have a better process. 
5 REPLIES 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Are you talking about limiting the space used by CPS or BE's backup-to-disk folders?
For the BE's B2D folders, in the Backup to Disk device properties, under the Advanced tab, you can enable the Low disk space threshold. This sets the minimum amount of free space you wish to retain on the drive containing the B2D folder.
If you mean CPS then I'm not sure, as I don't use it.

Seagya
Level 4
I saw that but it says Low disk space threshold(at which backup operations are suspended).

I took this as the backups will hold until room is made. I want it to continue but delte anything older then a week. I have the backups set to delete if older then a week but it doesnt remove them unless it needs the room. Thank you for replying.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
If we're talking about BE rather than CPS, go in to Tools, Options, Media Management, and select "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media".
This will make BE prefer to overwrite files rather than create a new B2D file.

Seagya
Level 4
Hywel,

Thank you for the help. I think this is just what I needed. I was referring to BE 12.

Seagya
Level 4
Hywel,

While this takes it longer to fill, it still fills up the drives. Its wouldn't affect me because it does use the "old" files first and then open storage but my CPS needs space all the time.