cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Agent on Ubuntu 11.10 fails to start properly

djcomo
Level 2

I'm hoping that someone can give me some info on what is happening here.  (I want to try this group first before calling support.)

I am running BackupExec 2010R3 and everything on the media server, etc. is running perfectly fine.  The problem that I am running into is starting the BackupExec VRTSralus daemon under Ubuntu 11.10.  The installation happened without a hitch, however when I start the daemon, the following is output to the console:

root@intranet01:/tmp# *** glibc detected *** /opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote: free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007faddf9d66d8 ***

======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x78a96)[0x7faddddb5a96]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(cfree+0x6c)[0x7faddddb9d7c]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libbesocket.so(_Z11freeifaddrsP7ifaddrs+0x1f)[0x7faddf8b42bf]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libbesocket.so(_Z10getifaddrsPP7ifaddrs+0x6bf)[0x7faddf8b426f]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libbesocket.so(_Z20GetAdaptersAddressesjjPvP21_IP_ADAPTER_ADDRESSESPj+0x56)[0x7faddf8b4b26]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libbesocket.so(_ZN8BESocket13BENetConfigEx18RefreshInformationEPKb+0x3a)[0x7faddf8bdd5a]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libbesocket.so(_ZN8BESocket13BENetConfigExC1Eb+0xff)[0x7faddf8bdc0f]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libbesocket.so(_ZN8BESocket13BENetConfigEx23GetNetworkConfigurationEb+0x2d)[0x7faddf8be19d]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libbedsvx.so(_Z14VX_EnumSelfDLEP6BE_CFGP8HEAD_DLE+0x31a)[0x7fade0bf445a]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libndmpcomm.so(+0x28bbb)[0x7faddff3dbbb]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libndmpcomm.so(+0x28feb)[0x7faddff3dfeb]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libndmpcomm.so(_Z20NrdsAdvertiserThreadPv+0x147)[0x7faddff3f6c7]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libvxACEI.so.3(_ZN18ACE_Thread_Adapter8invoke_iEv+0x50)[0x7fade37dfee0]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libvxACEI.so.3(_ZN18ACE_Thread_Adapter6invokeEv+0x5a)[0x7fade37dfe4a]
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/libvxACEI.so.3(ace_thread_adapter+0x9)[0x7fade37a7e69]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x7efc)[0x7fade1f6aefc]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d)[0x7faddde1e89d]

Any thoughts on why this may be happening?

Thanks!

Drew

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could be due to the fact, Ubuntu 11.10 is not compatible with BE ...

SCL  - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682

djcomo
Level 2

There's a bunch of posts across the Internet noting that Ubuntu works fine for them, also we were told by our sales rep that Ubuntu was supported...  (However, that is coming from a sales rep...)

Is there any planned support?  (I have, but have not installed the FA build of BUEX 2012. - Not sure if that makes a difference...)

Thanks!

Drew

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Support for Ubuntu 10 and above has already been added in the IDEA's section but its not been 

reviewed yet. 

yusufusmani
Level 4

I Think you should try re-installing the RALUS and check, at the time of installtion it creates/modifies library files.

or els contact some linux expert.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it's not a Linux issue, it's an issue with the support of the OS in BE itself.

djcomo
Level 2

Agreed this isn't a Linux issue...  Also, I have been developing Linux software and applications for 16+ years now...  I think that makes me an expert by now... :|

It's really unfortunate that they don't keep closer ties to OS product releases.  (I ran into an issue with Endpoint Protection and OS X Lion.  Lion support wasn't available in v12 until 4 or so months after Lion was released.)

CraigV

...they might not always be privvy to the latest releases. Or they might have issues with the builds they get, preventing them from releasing support patches as soon as the OS/new software is released.

Unfortunately it all takes time, which sometimes doesn't sit well with the customer whose using something a lot newer than the software supports.

djcomo
Level 2

A number of years back, I developed a web-based configurable appliance and each time a browser was released, something would break, render wrong, etc.  I was always chasing the latest release.  (Something would work fine in IE, however not in Firefox or Opera, etc.)

I totally get it, however I think there's a certain time frame which is acceptable (a few weeks) and then unacceptable (a few months).  I understand that Symantec does not want to release something which is half-cooked, however they should atleast offer pre-release updates to us that need them which we'd accept at our own risk.

Of course, this would be namely for the Enterprise products and not for the home/soho line.

CraigV

...might actually be worth your while going to the Ideas section and adding this in as an idea...sort of a time-line when Symantec will be releasing support for software or not...

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5

djcomo,

I ran into this issue some time ago.  The BE RALUS 12.5 / 13.0 agents WILL work on Ubuntu, but NOT with a 3.x kernel that exists currently.  You'll have to boot using a 2.6.x kernel (which may necessitate installing it if you have a fresh 11.10 install).

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ralus-kernel-30-issues

tjmcgrew
Level 3

I'm not sure I consider downgrading the kernel to be a proper solution, though it does work.

I'm not sure why Symantec isn't fixing this issue, as it seems it should be a trivial fix. The issue is related to a bugfix in kernel 2.6.39 which changed the return value of 2 system calls related to networking: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=commitdiff;h=41c31f318a5209922d0...

I have successfully gotten this working on kernel 3.3.2 (in Arch Linux) by applying the following kernel patch: https://gist.github.com/2472021

Maybe that will help you.