cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux agent logon account issue

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Hi Symantec support,

I have multipule linux agents need to add into CAS. I will use root account , different password to establish trust. In such case, in the attached picture of logon account window, after I added first linux agent with account root password ABC1234 successfully, when I add the second linux agent, I have to select the root account I have added in the attached screen, and then edit and change the password to BCD2345. Because I cannot add two account with same name but different password. Is there any concern by doing this? If I have 4 linux agents, I need to update the password of the same root account in the attached screen to connect the linux agent? Will there be any impact to the first linux agent I have added successfully? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Nopes, there will be no impact to the previous agent's install.

However, when you run a backup, the account should have the correct password for the server.

And lastly, it would be easier if you would use the same account with same password during backups rather than changing the credentials each time.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Hi VJware,

you said:

However, when you run a backup, the account should have the correct password for the server.

The backup job, we will create on CAS. and the password also saved in CAS. When we change the logon account when adding the second linux agent, we will edit and change the password of root account. Then the password of the root saved on CAS will be updated. For the first linux agent, we use this account and previous password to connect to it during job setup. You meant the password change won't affect the job of the first linux agent? After the backup job saved for the first linux agent, I won't input credential again.

VJware
Level 6

After the backup job saved for the first linux agent, I won't input credential again.

This will most likely be a problem since you are changing the password for subsequent installs and each job will have the same root account but different passwords.

Either you use only one account with same password or different accounts for different server.

Colin_Weaver

You can create multiple root accounts in the BE console, as they can have different names in Backup Exec whilst still using root (and  the specific password) when they actually connect.

So create different root accounts for each resource (as they are used for the backups as well as the agent installs.)

As an example on my test setups I often have root accounst for ESX hosts as well as root accounts for a NetApp filer and both are handled (I just call one ESX root and one NetApp Root inside the BE console)