cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux and Remote Media Agent

Guindilla
Level 2

Hello everybody,

I have installed Backup Exec 12.5 version (Central Server) on a Windows 2008 R2 Server. I also have deployed remote agents on some Linux Servers (Red Hat Enterprise 5 version), and on some Windows Server too. All the jobs are working without problems, but I have some troubles with one of Linux Servers. I have installed Remote Media Agent in this server because it belongs to my SAN, but when I launch a backup job with this option configured, the job finishes successfully without any errors or warnings. But the byte count is 0. If I configure this server with only remote agent (uninstalling remote media agent), the backup job works fine.

I have enabled the log on this server, and  the log shows that server is trying to call a device path that no exists.

I am not sure if Tape Library that I have fixed is supported by Remote Media Agent. The library model is Dell PowerVault TL4000 Fibre Channel (IBM 3573-TL library with one drive IBM ULT3580-TD4). In the HCL documents, It's appears in Inquiry Library / Drive Column.

Other detail that I'd share with you is that there is a file called TILDBG.TXT. This file is on Windows / Linux Systems. On Windows, this file is ok but on Linux with remote media agent, this file contains these lines:

------------------ Adapters -------------------------------------------------

Adapter  ( 1 )  LSI SAS based M
Adapter  ( 2 )  LSI SAS based M
Adapter  ( 3 )  ata_piix
Adapter  ( 4 )  EMC LPe12000-E  
Adapter  ( 5 )  EMC LPe12000-E  
Adapter  ( 6 )  Veritas VirtHBA

------------------ Devices Not Detected By The Application ------------------

Robot  ( 03,02,01 ) 02  IBM     3573-TL         8.62

Reason:

------------------ Devices In Host Bus Adapter Order ------------------------

Drive  ( 03,02,00 ) 03  IBM     ULT3580-TD4     97F0
Robot  ( 03,02,01 ) 02  IBM     3573-TL         8.62

------------------ Devices In Application Order -----------------------------

Drive  ( 03,02,00 )  IBM      ULT3580-TD4      97F0   Ultrium:247:1

------------------ Serial Numbers -------------------------------------------

Robot  ( 03,02,01 )  Serial Number = 00X4U78K6774_LL0
Drive  ( 03,02,00 )  Serial Number = 1310164184

------------------ Robot Information ----------------------------------------

Robot  ( 03,02,01 )  IBM     3573-TL         8.62

Number of Drives      =     1      FirstDTE  = 0100
Number of Slots       =    44      FirstSSE  = 1000
Number of Portals     =     3      FirstIEE  = 0010

Robot             Serial Number = 00X4U78K6774_LL0
Robot DTE_01      Serial Number = 1310164184

Look at the line "------------------ Devices Not Detected By The Application ------------------". And below that, there is our Tape Library.

It means that the tape library is not supported by Backup Exec remote media agent? There is any workaround for this trouble?

I also visit this link from Symantec about Troubleshooting Remote Media Agent with no results.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/309891.htm

I also have installed all patches on Linux systems and on Windows systems.

Any ideas?

Best Regards.
3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
It may or may not be directly related but Win2k8 R2 is NOT supported on BE 12.5 as a media server, only a client.

BE2010 supports Win2k8 R2 as a media server.  (although it would seem that 12.5 doesnt have issue backing them up like 2010 does currently)

Guindilla
Level 2

The problem of upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 is that I would need upgrade licenses. And this is a recent deployment. Furthermore the Linux Server with remote media agent is the only one server with troubles.

Thanks.

Guindilla
Level 2

Any Ideas?