cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

LiveUpdate (3.3.0.69) stops downloading after 3500 KB within Backup Exec 2010 MP1 (13.0.2896) => LU1835: Connection to the LiveUpdate server failed

SG
Level 4

Dear All,

I have a really strange problem with the LiveUpdate (3.3.0.69) for Backup Exec 2010 MP1 running under Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64bit).

After a clean installation of the server with the OS and a clean installation of Backup Exec 2010 MP1 (13.0.2896) the first thing I tried was to run the LiveUpdate.

It directly connects to the Symantec Servers...

... and find all the necessary updates. If I proceed with a click on "Next" it starts the download but stops always exactly after 3500 KB...

... after some seconds the error message LU1835: Connection to the LiveUpdate server failed appears.

• I'm connecting to LiveUpdate via a Proxy Server.
  • I already added http://*.symantec.com and http://liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com to the Trusted Sites within Internet Explorer
  • I already checked the articel "How to determine whether your firewall is blocking LiveUpdate" with the result that everything is fine and nothing got blocked from the firewall
  • I already increased the time for time-out value for HTTP downloads with the result that the error message LU1835 will be displayed later.
  • I also already uninstalled LiveUpdate, rebooted the server, made a clean installation of LiveUpdate and run a repair of Backup Exec without any further result.
  • If I try to download a hotfix smaller than 3500 KB (like Hotfix 354911 with ~ 3,1 MB) it works fine for that hotfix - but no luck for any (single) hotfix > 3,5 MB
  • At the same time a LiveUpdate runs fine via the same network/same proxy on a Windows Server 2003 R2 and Backup Exec 12.5 installed on it. Here it's e.g. no problem to download SP4 (> 100 MB) for BE12.5 via LiveUpdate, so this is why I do not believe that the problem is related to our internet connection.

Any ideas as I'm running out of them...?

Kind regards,
 SG
37 REPLIES 37

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There was a similar post in the SEP forum - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/liveupdate-error-1835

You could try the solution listed over there.

SG
Level 4

Hello,

The other post is recommending to modify the file Settings.LiveUpdate located in C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate.

The two lines should be changed to a value of 300:

PREFERENCES\INTERNET_CONNECT_TIMEOUT=300
PREFERENCES\INTERNET_READ_DATA_TIMEOUT=300

I did this but same result:

and after some more seconds (300?)...

no

Colin_Weaver

I belive this issue has also been seen where timeouts on firewalls/routers/proxy servers are causing an issue which might mean this is nothing to do with LU itself.

SG
Level 4

Hi Colin,

I agree but the strange thing is, that I am not the only customer having this issue (see thread) and:

At the same time a LiveUpdate runs fine via the same network/same proxy on a Windows Server 2003 R2 and Backup Exec 12.5 installed on it. Here it's e.g. no problem to download SP4 (> 100 MB) for BE12.5 via LiveUpdate, so this is why I do not believe that the problem is related to our internet / proxy connection.

SG

Akos
Level 3

This worked for me on BE2010(13.0Rev.2896) & 2008R2:

• Control Panel / Symantec Live Update / General: Interactive Mode

• Control Panel / Symantec Live Update / Update Cache / Maximum Cache Size: <maximum>

Not sure, whether both are necessary or not.

Colin_Weaver

The only formal cases I have been aware of for this issue awere all found to have been caused by influences external to Symantec - i.e timeouts on Firewalls, routers and proxy servers

Stangely the failure always seem to be 3500kb so it is likely that  there is a default out there somewhere that causes this.

SG
Level 4

I tried the possible solution from Akos and changed the LU Update Cache to Maximum (on a complete fresh installation of Windows Server 2008R2 and Backup Exec 2010 R2) but still the same story...

@Colin Weaver: Don't know if you read my starting post - but as already told: a Backup Exec 12.5 running on Windows Server 2003 R2 is working withing ANY issues regarding Live Update. And this server is connected in the same way to the network, proxy,...

Best regards,

SG

VJware
Level 6

Hello SG.

One of the SEP colleagues suggested the following. (not sure if you have already tried the same)

1: Make sure that there is no proxy being used in Internet Explorer settings.

2: Execute LuConfig.exe from C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate

3 - In HTTP tab, Select "I do not use a proxy server for HTTP".

4 - Apply and OK and close the LiveUpdate configuration.

5 - In C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate, open and edit "Settings.LiveUpdate"

6 - Go to the end of the file and edit the following parameters:
    PREFERENCES\INTERNET_CONNECT_TIMEOUT=45
    PREFERENCES\INTERNET_READ_DATA_TIMEOUT=45

Set them to:

PREFERENCES\INTERNET_CONNECT_TIMEOUT=450
    PREFERENCES\INTERNET_READ_DATA_TIMEOUT=450

7- Save and close the file.

8 - Now run Luall.exe.

SG
Level 4

Just some scrolls upwards...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/liveupdate-33069-stops-downloading-after-3500-kb-with...

A modification of the "Settings.LiveUpdate" didn't change anything. Furthermore we do have a Proxy Server, so disabling it will not work...

Best regards,
 SG

Hamster1066
Not applicable

I had the same problem on 2 separate servers with new installs of 2010 R2. The following rectified the problem:

From Control Panel, change LiveUpdate Configuration HTTP settings to "I want to customise my HTTP settings for LiveUpdate". Enter proxy IP and port number.

Change the Update Cache size to 30MB and click "remove all files from cache".

Run LiveUpdate from Backup Exec again and it should proceed without issue.

This resolved the problem on both servers. Hopefully it works for others.

Regards,

DH

Turls
Level 6

@SG, can you please close this thread off by marking a comment as a solution? Thanks!

JustMeHere
Level 2

This solved the issue for me immediately, thanks heaps.

Funny how this thread has be here for almost 6 months and the day that I run into this issue it got an answer...

Definite bug in the way LiveUpdate handles proxies under 2008R2. I put some logging on the firewall and as soon as the file size hits 3500kb LiveUpdate disregards the proxy and attempts to go direct to the internet (which won't work if you have a half-way serious firewall configuration)

SG
Level 4

Hi Hamster1066,

Thank you very much. This finaly solved also my issue I had with LiveUpdate! smiley

@Swathi: Wow, you're fast if you want something from me/the customer. But where were you/was Symantec in the last month to help me/the customer to solve this issue?? All the (few) Symantec employees who respond to that threat either didn't read my detailed explanation on what I already tested and suggested me to do the same again or they just told me it's a "firewall issue" means it's the fault of the customer itself!

Sorry but this sucks, Symantec! no

Best regards,
 SG

Turls
Level 6

Thanks SG for the compliments. We admins are responsible to keep our community thriving. Hence our actions. I' happy to see your issue resolved, which paved path for many other users looking for a solution related to similar issues. Kudos guys!

SG
Level 4

Kudos guys! => Indeed!

The customers must help themselves as the technical Support from Symantec is not efficient anymore. I could tell you stories about the support which no one would believe me. Reaction time of 10 (!) days on critical cases... callbacks on midnight on my voicebox...

Ryan_H2
Not applicable

For others closer to my situation:

I was having the same problem with it stopping at 3500, then 7000, then immediately, and then it would repeat that cycle.  We do not use a proxy.  It only occurs on 2k8 servers.  2k3 servers have no issues updating through LiveUpdate.  I found that checking the option under the HTTP tab of LiveUpdate Config (in control panel) for "I want to use my Internet Options HTTP settings" caused all Win2k8 servers with BE 2010 or BE 2010R2 to fail.  It seems that choosing this option, which is the default after installation, is the same as choosing "I want to customize my HTTP settings for LiveUpdate" and then not entering in any proxy address or port number.  It's basically taking that first selection to mean you do use a proxy server, whether you do or not and then giving no addressing since there's none to give.  Based on what others have said above, it looks to me like the selection to take settings from Internet options isn't working whether you use a proxy server or not.  So if you're like me, change it specifically to "I do not use a proxy server for HTTP."  I did the same on the FTP tab.  Essentially, the "I want to use my Internet Options HTTP settings" isn't working at all so pick one of the other two option depending on whether or not you use a proxy in your environment.

Also, I've been finding that LiveUpdate run from within BE 2010 increasingly does not see any Symantec products installed that can be updated.  However running luall.exe from outside of BE causes it to see all installed products and updates them properly.

LiveUpdate under 64bit 2008 servers seems to be not at all ready for prime time.  I know many others having these exact same problems, plus all the people who have posted here.

Colin_Weaver

Just for info of Ryan.H - by default running LiveUpdate from within the Backup Exec console is configured to ONLY let you see the Backup Exec updates - it should not show you the updates for other Symantec products when you start LiveUpdate in this way.

Similarly by defaulty if you run luall.exe directly from the folder it should not show you Backup Exec updates but show you the updates for other Symantec products.

The above comments relate to the more recent versions of Backup Exec some of the earlier versions worked differently and we received complaints that the schedule for updating Anti-Virus would try and update Backup Exec as well - often causing backup job failues if this happened overnight. Hence we seperated Backup Exec's registration in LiveUpdate from that of other applications as a default.

You can change this behaviour using BEUpdateOps.exe

spammer
Not applicable

Here is our Setup:

Hardware:    W3K Server

Software:     New BE2010R2 install

BorderManager Firewall/Proxy Server

History:

Liveupdate on Backexec 2010 would fail at stages when downloading updates. As suggested above, I cleared the cache in liveupdate, I customized settings (porxy) but nothing resolved the issue. After 3 hours I decided that maybe the firewall had something to do with it.

I was hesitant but I decided to disabled the filters. Although the Update would start an error was always returned, "not enough disk space". With 23 GB free I did A disk cleanup but to my disapointment the process would continue to fail.  I didnt like the idea of exposing all of my ports to the world so I quickly abandoned that idea after a brief exposure.

Next, I zero'ed in on the Proxy server and the Cache. So I downed the proxy server. That process took 3 minutes. Then I reloaded the proxy server with the -cc (Clear Cache) command. Reloading the Proxy Server took longer than usuual as the this Firewall/Proxy server was operating without incident for 465 days (I love Novell Products they run without fail forever).  After I proxy loaded correctly I tried liveupdate and It worked!

So, if you have a software Firewall/Proxy server, like Novell's BorderManager, look to reset/empty the Cache.

It worked for us!