cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local backup looses connection to RAWS

ReVeR
Level 4
Hi,

I have a Windows 2003 SP1 server with Backup Exec 10d SP4 installed and a stand alone tape drive attached. This server only backups its local drives (C and D). When I run a job after X amount of time (Not always the same) the job fails with the following error message:

The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.

Of course it is not a network issue because the backup is local. So it seems like the BE Engine looses connection to the BE Remote Agent at some point.

These are the steps that I have already performed:

1) Repaired Backup Exec.
2) Selection list recreated.
3) Set beremote service in debug mode. Also configured the startup as Manual.
4) Open SGMON and run a FULL backup.
5) The following error appears in the debug log:

bengine: [10156] 12/16/09 16:38:09 ERROR: ndmpcSendRequest->connection error
bengine: [10156] 12/16/09 16:38:09 ERROR: ndmpSendRequest failed:
bengine: [10156] 12/16/09 16:38:09 NDMPEngine::PollDataServer(). dataGetDataState failed with NDMP_CONNECT_ERR !!
beremote: [5380] 12/16/09 16:38:09 ERROR: sending message 0x703: encoding request body.
beremote: [5380] 12/16/09 16:38:09 ERROR: ndmpdApiFileHistoryFile: error sending ndmp_fh_add_file_request.
beremote: [5380] 12/16/09 16:38:09 ERROR: sending message 0xf204: encoding request header.
beremote: [5380] 12/16/09 16:38:09 ERROR: ndmpdApiLog: error sending log message request.

The lines in bold keep appearing every second for several minutes filling the debug screen. When this starts to occur you can see in the job monitor that the byte count stopped but the time continues.

4) Ran netstat -a -b and the only process using port 10000 is beremote.

5) The Remote Agent never goes down during the backup.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced,
7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Has this been happening for a while now, or has it worked with the problem only starting now?
My suggestion would be to add your BEWS service account as a Local Admin on that server and try the job again.
Failing that, uninstall RAWS and then reinstall it and see if that clears it up!

LAters!

CraigV
Hi,

Any news here?

ReVeR
Level 4
Hi Craig,

Backups were working fine until the disk array started to generate lots of errors. After both disks were replaced the issue persisted though.

I had to reinstal the tool to fix the issue.

Thanks,

CraigV
Reinstalled RAWS?
Incidentally, I have a server on a remote site with a failing drive that I am almost positive is causing issues on our backups...cannot stream data to the drive!

ReVeR
Level 4
I had to reinstall Backup Exec, not RAWS. For future reference, how do I reinstall RAWS locally in the media server?

Thanks,

CraigV
Hey dude,

Read it up here...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258982.htm

Laters!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You cannot install/re-install only hte Remote Agent on the Media Server.  it is part of the base install

You should, however, be able to do a Repair Install (you will have to reinstall all SPs and HotFixes after doing this, however