cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for backup strategy

Romy
Level 3
 We have a site where we are currently using STOMP backup, which is a very basic backup program.  We use only portable hard drives for the storage.  We run one weekly FULL backup, 5 differential and full database backups the rest of the week.  In STOMP, we use backup to file to a local hard drive.  We then copy the file to a portable hard drive for that days backup which is brought in from offsite.

Now we are going to implement backup exec there as well to get a higher grade server product but we are running into problems.  I am looking to keep a similiar strategy of backing up to a local hard disk, all three backups.  Then copying the files to a hard drive that will be offsite.

What would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

Romy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi,
(Assuming you use version 9 or later)
With at least version 9 of Backup Exec you can make an online folder to backup files to. Basically what i would do in your situation is have the portable drive hooked up and set that as the location to where the data will go. Then from your Job setup in the media selection area from the drop down it should show up as the drive you named it. I do this for just about every client i have running BE. I setup a online job for each day of the week and have the tape drive go by later in the night and get all the nights worth of backups.

You can restore files from the online source in seconds instead of having to catalog the tape and all that fun stuff. Plus you can have alot more days worth available right now instead of having the client dig through tapes.

If you don't completly understand the steps above let me know
Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi,
(Assuming you use version 9 or later)
With at least version 9 of Backup Exec you can make an online folder to backup files to. Basically what i would do in your situation is have the portable drive hooked up and set that as the location to where the data will go. Then from your Job setup in the media selection area from the drop down it should show up as the drive you named it. I do this for just about every client i have running BE. I setup a online job for each day of the week and have the tape drive go by later in the night and get all the nights worth of backups.

You can restore files from the online source in seconds instead of having to catalog the tape and all that fun stuff. Plus you can have alot more days worth available right now instead of having the client dig through tapes.

If you don't completly understand the steps above let me know
Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal