cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lotus Domino Replica Backup?

Ahmad54
Level 3

Hi,

Lotus Domino 8.5 is installed on RedHat Linux. I knew from an the SCL and the Admin Guide that the Lotus agent doesn't support that scenario, and other members in this forum confirmed that and suggested that I do a flat-files backup after bringing down Lotus Domino offline, which is not a good thing to do.

This Lotus Domino server has a replica to another Windows server. But since IBM's best practices indicate not to rely on Lotus Domino replica as a method of database backup, is it possible to use the Lotus Domino agent to back up this Windows Lotus Domino replica to tapes using Backup Exec?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Saurabh_Gupta
Level 4
Employee

Are you sure that IBM best practice recommends so? If you are referring to this from IBM:

"Never rely only on replication as your method of database backup. A damaged or accidentally changed database may replicate, and then your only recourse is to recover the database from a server backup tape."

Then, I think the interpretation of this is to not rely on 'just' replication. But backing up from replicas shall still hold good.

Pardon me if you are referring to some other recommendation from IBM, in which case, would you mind sharing it here.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if this is listed in the SCL for Backup Exec, then it is a supported method by Symantec. You can also try backing it up to see if it works or not, and invoke the agent in a trial if need-be.

Thanks!

Saurabh_Gupta
Level 4
Employee

Are you sure that IBM best practice recommends so? If you are referring to this from IBM:

"Never rely only on replication as your method of database backup. A damaged or accidentally changed database may replicate, and then your only recourse is to recover the database from a server backup tape."

Then, I think the interpretation of this is to not rely on 'just' replication. But backing up from replicas shall still hold good.

Pardon me if you are referring to some other recommendation from IBM, in which case, would you mind sharing it here.

Ahmad54
Level 3

CraigV, The SCL doesn't say anything about backing up a Lotus Domino replica server. I wanted to know if it would work the same way it does with the original Lotus Domino server or not.

Hello Saurabh Gupta,

Yes, I'm referring to that article from IBM. And indeed, you are correct. I went to a customer, and installed Backup Exec agent on a Lotus Replica server, and it worked flawlessly.

Thank you for your concern, Saurabh.