cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lotus Domino

Dr_Max
Level 2
Hi all,

Could somebody help me, I deploed Sym BackupExec 12d. But my Lotus backup takes a lot of time. 330 Gb bacup more than 8 hours.

How to reduse the time of backup?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Reading from RAID5 will be quick, and its writing to RAID10 which is faster at writing than RAID5 for example.
However, this could be a bottleneck with your server RAM. I see your backup server's memory is 1GB. If you can up this memory and try the backup again, you might see a speed increase. However, you'll be lucky to get backup speeds of over 400MB/m depending on the amount of traffic across your network at the time of the backup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Hi Dr. Max,

Firstly I take it you have the agent loaded, and are making use of this agent to backup Lotus Notes?
Do you only have this issue with Lotus Notes, and can you answer these questions:

1. Is LN on another server, and what sort of LAN connection does it have? 
2. What is your network speed?
3. What sort of speeds do you get with other sections of your backups?

Laters!

Dr_Max
Level 2
Hi CraigV!

It's used the Lotus agent.
BacupExec and Lotus are two different servers.
The speed of network - 1 Gb.
Total : 335 560 926 011 byte, speed of job : 557,00 MB per min, time of job 11:41:52

Thanks

CraigV
Hi there,

That might be about right.
What you can look at doing is making sure your switch ports are configured to run at the full speed of the NIC in your server, and then also making sure your NICs are configured to their full speed.
I've also put in 2 links to check out...1 will might help with improving the speed of the backups, and other explains why your backups would have slower speeds...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285756.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/231488.htm

Give them a read...

Dr_Max
Level 2
CragV,

The usual time of Lotus backup is 8 or 9 hours. I cannot run the job earlier 23:00 and it mush stop not later 7:00.

LAN: 1 Gb, Full duplex

Backup server configuration:

Operating System                    Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition SP 2 English

System Model                            Supermicro X5DP8

Processor                                     Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz Hyper Treading

Memory                                       1022MB RAM

RAID controller                          3WARE AMCC 9550SXU-16ML SATA

Drive C:                                          SYSTEM

Type of RAID                               RAID1, 2 disks, SATA WDC WD2500JS-22NCB1 250Gb 7,2 kprm.

Free Space                                   230.9 GB

Total Space                                 236.9 GB

File System                                  NTFS

Drive D:                                         DATA

Type of RAID                               RAID10, 12 disks + hot spare, SATA Seagate ST31000340NS 1Tb, 7.2 krpm.

Space                                             Free: 660.5 GB, Total: 5722.0 GB

Network adapter                      Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter

Lotus Server configuration:

Operating System                    Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition SP 2 English

System Model                            Supermicro PDSM4+

Processor                                     Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory                                       4094MB RAM

RAID controller                          Adaptec Array SCSI Disk Device

Disks                                              SCSI Hitachi HUS151414VL3800 10krpm

Drive C:                                         Syatem

Type of RAID                               RAID5

Space                                             Free: 55.8 GB, Total: 66.5 GB

File System                                  NTFS

Drive D:                                         DataBases

Type of RAID                               RAID5

Space                                             Free: 11.8 GB, Total: 353.7 GB

Network adapter                      Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Adapter

Dr_Max
Level 2
And It is Bucut-to-Disk via LAN. With out tape.

CraigV

Reading from RAID5 will be quick, and its writing to RAID10 which is faster at writing than RAID5 for example.
However, this could be a bottleneck with your server RAM. I see your backup server's memory is 1GB. If you can up this memory and try the backup again, you might see a speed increase. However, you'll be lucky to get backup speeds of over 400MB/m depending on the amount of traffic across your network at the time of the backup.