Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOSS2010 DB skipped during SQL backup

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

We have recently installed backup exec r3 on sharepoint 2010 backend server. SQL instances are different for backup exec and sharepoint.

When we try to backup SharePoint2010 DB, few of MOSS dbs were backed up and rest were skipped,  it completes with excemption stating configure backup job using sharepoint resources. However for sharepoint 2007 we used to take only DB.

In our era presently we require only DB backup using SQL policy.

Does this R3 and MOSS 2010 have limitations for skipping DBs

Is it  possible to take backup of only moss database using SQL agent.

User is given sysadmin roles under SQL DB

Cheers

Vaibhav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Support confirmed that this is by design itself. For MOSS backup moss AGENT must be used not SQL.

issue resolved.

cheers

vaibhav

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Dev_T
Level 6

To backup SQL, you require SQL license present.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Today only installed BER3 which is 60 day evaulation trial. And i believe evaluation copy allows SQL & other agents to be used.

I mentioned earlier  that few DBs within selection are getting backed up but rest are skipped with notification "use sharepoint to backup this database" however db which are backed up are of sharepoint farm only.

It confuses alot to me, how come few db are backed up and rest are skipped just being dependent of agent.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I believe the the OP might already have the SQL agent installed, and wants to know if they can use that to back up the MOSS DB...correct me if I am wrong?

Otherwise have you tried selecting the SQL DB from the SharePoint farm itself...?

Thanks!

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanx craig for understanding my issue

Yes ur correct i'm trying to backup moss db using sql agent, somehow few dbs are getting backed up but rest dbs are getting skipped.

i found selction funnny where few db were greyed out and only those were skipped.

i didn't face this issue while backing up moss  2k7 in same manner.

any idea if this works

moreover does aofo needs to be enabled while configuring sql dbs (sounds funny with intellegent agent)

cheers

vaibhav

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Don't use AOFO when backing up those DBs. Let BE itself decide what to use.

Have you either unselected the DBs and then reselected them, or uninstalled/reinstalled the SQL agent? Are all these DBs on the same box?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ya all dbs are in same box

have reselected dbs and also tried after reinstalling agent. but does not works.

have tried with sharepoint agent it worked... but i can't go with sharepoint agent as we are not gonna buy license now. so sql would be helpful to me.

cheers

vaibhav

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Support confirmed that this is by design itself. For MOSS backup moss AGENT must be used not SQL.

issue resolved.

cheers

vaibhav

ARemboldt
Level 3
Employee

Active File Exclusion prevents duplicate resource protection.  If an agent is installed for a specific resource, the ability to select the resource from any other selection list trees, in this case, SQL Agent tree and flat-file system tree is automatically disabled.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This seems something different.

From SQL point of view, Database will remain as it is irrespective of data it holds and the application using the same.

Backup Exec should allow this DB to be backed up. Don't know how same agent filters this category and works.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@Aremboldt,  the flat files are skipped whether the Agent is installed or not, unless you use the tweak to turn AFE off

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Veritas introduce AFE (Active File Exclusion) to bypass specified database file type to avoid "File in use - skipped" that result when the database server service is running. 

And AOFO is not recommended because snapping different databases that may be linked at different times may resullt in a corrupt environment

If you want to backup SQL, Exchange, Notes, Oracle, or MOSS without the associated license, you have to turn AFE off, and then shut down the database server service while the backup is running.  usually not an option for most businesses