cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL Databases Not Being Backed up

nathanmace
Level 3
I've got a 2005 SQL server with about a dozen databases on it.  In Backup Exec when I setup a backup job for that server (with the SQL agent), I select the databases and the drives that contain the data and log files for the databases.  The mdf and ldf files.  When the backup runs, it completes successfully (except for an error about requiring sp 2 to do snapshots which I take to mean sp 2 on the database server since I have sp 3 of backup exec) however it never backs up the mdf and ldf files!  Even though I explicitly selected them.

Any ideas?  I've done everything I know to do, though I will admit my knowledge of databases isn't all that great.  Any help would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you want to grab the mdf and ldf files, you need to shut down the SQL Server service and see  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm     to turn off Active File Exclusion

BUT

you said that you have the SQL Agent, so if you select the databases through the agent, you should be covered

nathanmace
Level 3
OK.  Next bit of info.

I'm having trouble restoring a database that was backed up with the SQL agent.  I need to do a redirection and restore it to a new/blank database I created just for the purpose of holding a "old" copy of a database from earlier in the week.

I do the restore + redirection and the job completes successfully.  However no data gets put in the database.  None of the tables are created...nothing.  No errors in the database servers event log, and nothing from Backup Exec.  I initially thought it was because the ldf/mdf files weren't being backed up.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.  Any ideas as to why the data isn't being written to the newly created database?

nathanmace
Level 3
Bump.

Anyone have any ideas as to why my restore job isn't actually putting any data in the database?  Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't have a clue

After  the restore, is your production database still OK, or was it overwritten rather than the actual target, was it?

nathanmace
Level 3
The production database is fine.  It was NOT overwritten.

THG
Level 3
are there active connections to the new database?

right click the new, empty database in Enterprise Manager choose the option to Detach Database and verify that the current connections is set to 0..........if there is 1 or more clear them out and retry the restore.

how long does the restore take to run? if it finishes in a couple of minutes (the time it takes to queue up the tape) and immediately finishes it is most likely because backup exec cannot obtain a lock on the database

nathanmace
Level 3
It takes it over 4 minutes to do the restore...so it doesn't seem to load the tape and fail.

When I go to the detach screen, I don't see any way of telling if there are any active connections?  That might be because I'm not using Enterprise Manager.....I'm using SQL Server Management Studio.