cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS-SQL Server 2005 Backup Exec

kens999
Level 2

Hi, I'm helping sort out a situation where the content of one SQL table has been deleted. Really we need to restore the one table. The database instance is backed up by Backup Exec. I don't want to restore the whole instance as that would delete valuable data in other tables.

Ideally I'd like to extract the database files from the backup. I've tried to restore the backup to a dissused mssql instance but I get "error 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource".

Any suggestions

Thanks

Ken

5 REPLIES 5

kens999
Level 2

I forgot to say its backup exec 10d

Thanks

Ken

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi ken,

Not possible. You have to redirect the restore to another SQL server, and pull the table out from there.

It seems to be Microsoft-related (ie. SQL) and not BE.

For your error, check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49363

Thanks!

kens999
Level 2

Thanks Craig,

I suppose one way is to use MS-SQL's native backup capability to save the whole database. Restore the old one using backup exec and recover the data from the dead table. Then restore the native backup and insert the data back in the table.

Thanks

Ken

pkh
   VIP    Certified

An easier way is to re-direct the restore of your database backup to another database.  Just give it a new name.  You would then have your operational database and a database which is the backup.  You can then dump the data from the table from the backup database and then replace the table in the operational database with this dumped data.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Ken: Sorry, went to sleep smiley I think that if you go down this road you've got to be sure that everything will be recoverable. Just load SQL somewhere else and redirect to that...and you can keep your production DB active.