cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSL 4048 - BE2014 - How to write to both Drives at the same time

LucasS
Level 4

Hi,

we have a symantec backup exec install with 2014 sp 1 and a HP MSL4048 with 2 drives. How do we have to configure the copy to tape job to write the source servers (8 physical windows 2012 Server) to both drives at the same time to shorten the backup window?

We can see the Changer and underneath it, we see both drives. Drive 1 and 2. Do we have to select the changer?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Yes, you would 'point job 1 to drive 1 and job 2 to drive 2' Here is a discussion on the same topic: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-backup-exec-perform-dual-tape-drive-backups-simul...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

to do this you need a Library Expansion Option and then you need to split the job into two jobs to run them at the same time

Hope this helps

LucasS
Level 4

Ok,

the licensing hint (lib option) is clear! thanks for that. We have this one. My questions are only techn. natured.

So, for the fact that there is NO other option as the one with two jobs: Do we have to point "job 1" to drive 1 and "job 2"  to drive 2? or are both jobs pointed to the root= the changer?

Best regards

lmosla
Level 6

Yes, you would 'point job 1 to drive 1 and job 2 to drive 2' Here is a discussion on the same topic: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-backup-exec-perform-dual-tape-drive-backups-simul...

LucasS
Level 4

Ok, thank you.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Persoanlly, I would target the two jobs to the changer and let BE decide which job goes to which drive.  The advantage is that if one drive fails, goes offline, or whatever, the job would (eventually) run on the other drive.  I am assuming that you would rather have both jobs run one-after-another, than for one job to fail.

LucasS
Level 4
Good suggestions! thanks.