cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file

elnooch
Level 3

I'm running Symantec Backup Exe TM 2010 R3. The error I'm getting is below, which is affecting the other Backup services to start. Please assist with this issue.

"MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file"

38 REPLIES 38

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Add/Remove Programs and repair BE.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Goto services.msc

Locate SQLserver(bkupexec) service

goto the properties and check the path for that service

See if the path exists

Also check the event viewer to see if it specifies the path its looking for...

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
When did this issue start....were any kind of changes made to server any patch applied ...Did u try making any changes to sql eg. Moving database or so...

lmosla
Level 6

Hello elnooch,

Have you gone into Tools < Backup Exec Services and Restarted the services?

elnooch
Level 3

thanks for the replies. it happened after we updated the McAfee HIPS 7 to 8. tried numerous times to restart the services.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can try to goto SQL configuration in the SQL Server Configuration Manager. 

look for the BE instance (BKUPEXEC) and set the TCP/IP Protocol set to enabled if disabled

Try to restart the service

===also

1. Stop all Backup Exec services 

2. Start the service SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)

3. Launch the Backup Exec Utility by running the BEUtility.exe from X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\

(where X: represents the drive where Backup Exec is installed)

4. In the middle pane of Backup Exec Utility, expand Known Computers > All Media Servers.  Select the media server by clicking on it

5. Right-click on the server name and select Change Database Access

6. In the User Name field, enter the user name that is specified for the Backup Exec Server service

7. In the Domain field, enter the user's domain.

8. Select Grant access.

9. Click OK

====

Make sure the sql service on localadmin

elnooch
Level 3

Kunal,

I don't see the sqlservr.exe in the "Binn" folder.

elnooch
Level 3

The status of the Media Server is "unknown", however with the missing path, which route should I trouble shoot first.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You said this has happened after installing Mcafee...I am guessing if mcafee has deletd sqlservr.exe thinking of it as a virus.

Can you check in the quarantine of Mcafee if this file sows, if yes try to recover it.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Dont worry about the above comment as I assumed the path is there as there was no response regarding this in your previous posts. Focus should be on getting the sqlservr.exe back

This is the cause of SQL service instance failing because sqlservr.exe is the service executable and is responsible for starting the sql instance service

elnooch
Level 3

Couldn't fidn the sql.exe in the McAfee quarantine folder on the C drive

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In the backup exec DVD locate

\BE\WinNT\Install\SQLExpress

Run the setup for sqlexpress and follow the prompts

Hopefully this will add the missing sql exe

elnooch
Level 3

so go with doing a "repair" with the install disk as suggested earlier?

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just the sql part of it by running the sql installation located in the BE  DVD as of now.

Edit

If you dont have the dvd handy try this

1        Click "Start" on the desktop and select "Control Panel." Choose "Add or Remove Programs."
2        Click "Currently Installed Programs" and select the instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to  repair. Click "Change."
3        Select "Database Engine" under the "Component Section" page, and click "Next."
4        Choose "Database Engine" in the "Feature Maintenance" page, and click "Next" to start the "SQL Server Installation Wizard."
5        Click "Next" on the "SQL Server 2005" setup page. Click "Next" again on the "System Configuration Check" page.
 6        Select "Complete the Suspended Installation" on the "Change or Remove Instance" page.
 7        Click "Next" on the "Error and Usage Report Settings" page, followed by "Install" on the "Ready to Update" page.
 8        Click "Next" on the "Setup Process" page, followed by "Finish" on the "Completing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup" page.

elnooch
Level 3

Just McAfee HIPS upgrade, now sqlservr.exe in Program Files (x86) is missing.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think its a bug with Mcafee as its not recognzing genuine files before deleting them

Can you disable Mcafee till the time you fix the sql issue?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're going to do a repair, do a proper repair. Repair BE itself using Add/Remove Programs as this will fix any other issues that you may/may not have!

Thanks!

elnooch
Level 3

thanks for the help, will do a full repair.

elnooch
Level 3

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23481

Is this the best way to do a full repair?