cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL Restoration

Sar
Not applicable

I am using symantec Backup Exec 12.5. While restoring database(MSSQL) I just want to restore database file and log file in separate folders. How can I apply this settings in Backup Exec. tool.

Thanks in Advance,

YesPee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you thinking of restoring the .mdf and the .ldf files?  You can't really do this.  BE does not back up these flat files.  If you are using the SQL agent to backup your database, BE actually dump the contents of the database and log.  When you restore a database, BE will override the existing database.  You can re-direct the restore to a different physical location.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you thinking of restoring the .mdf and the .ldf files?  You can't really do this.  BE does not back up these flat files.  If you are using the SQL agent to backup your database, BE actually dump the contents of the database and log.  When you restore a database, BE will override the existing database.  You can re-direct the restore to a different physical location.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are backing up the sql datbase using AOFO, you won't be able to do a redirected restore. tried without luck.
You would either have to do a restore to another instance on the SAME server, or stage the files to disk(run the duplicate from tape to disk) and copyacross in SQL on the remote server. In this case you have to attach mdf and ldf manually. Tried this couple of times and always worked for me.