cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OSX 10.6.4 connectivity and agent

Andrew_Bienhaus
Level 3
Greetings!

Took the plunge, and we finally upgraded from BE 10d to 2010.
Partly for the Windows 7 support, but also to finally be able to backup the Macs!

Mac OSX 10.6.4 version.
Participating in the domain (unlocked, joined, etc).
Unlocked the local root, followed instructions for RAMS install via root account.
Named the BE server and the local machine with FQDN, and everything seemed to go fine.
(I was following article 342831)

Didn't see mention of NIS or the admin group, so I installed the Workgroup tools for the Mac, and made sure that the local group, included the domain admin account that BE would try and come in on, plus made sure it had the local root account as well. (did already)

Started the service, and it stays running.

There is a BE logon account inside BE, for both of the above. (have tried both)

I register connection errors, usually resulting in V-79-57344-3844

I've done the steps in article 357441 where it uses the utility to more clearly announce the name of the server. (using fqdn) I updated it, to remove any IPs, and just use the fqdn.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!
Andrew
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The SCL is a joint SCL for both 2010 and 2010 R2 - it was released early in this form because First Availability Customers that could access 2010 R2 from 19th July needed the documentation to go with it.
Unfortunately the team that merged the information missed making it clear which components needed R2 and which worked in both versions - this will be corrected soon as we are already aware of it.

Note 2010 R2 does not need new serial numbers the licenses and serial numbers for vanilla 2010 are valid.

Information on 2010 R2 can be found
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/announcing-launch-backup-exec-2010-r2

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew_Bienhaus
Level 3
Is there no one out there, using the Mac remote agent?

Colin_Weaver

I hope you installed BE 2010 R2, as vanilla 2010 does not support Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.x

EDIT: In fact unless you were First Availability you can't have installed 2010 R2 as it was only released for genaral access this week. and you first post on the thread was last week

Andrew_Bienhaus
Level 3
Ummm then why did the support documents on the web, last week, list 10.6.x as supported? :)

Perhaps they we anticipating!

Anyhow, ok, so, just download the new release and build a DVD from the ISO like I did for the 2010 release? (same instructions in other words to install)

And, does the server just pickup the R2 as part of LiveUpdate?

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

The SCL is a joint SCL for both 2010 and 2010 R2 - it was released early in this form because First Availability Customers that could access 2010 R2 from 19th July needed the documentation to go with it.
Unfortunately the team that merged the information missed making it clear which components needed R2 and which worked in both versions - this will be corrected soon as we are already aware of it.

Note 2010 R2 does not need new serial numbers the licenses and serial numbers for vanilla 2010 are valid.

Information on 2010 R2 can be found
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/announcing-launch-backup-exec-2010-r2

Andrew_Bienhaus
Level 3
...and it all installed like a charm.

Even the Mac remote agent, is installed and appear to be running. (haven't backed anything up yet, but was now quickly able to browse the machine and make selections)

Thanks for the help... the article was misleading, but as you say, one hand just tripped over the other, very common this close to a release date. :)

The seer article on setting up the Mac client -- very useful for the non-serious macoids in the room, who still need to be able to back them up.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/342831.htm

Andrew

Colin_Weaver

Hi Andrew thanks for the update, I have not had chance to install 2010 R2 agent on my Snow Leopard Mac yet so I appreciate the feedback.