Dav_Banks
Level 3
Does 11d support OS X on Intel?
How about XSAN?
12 REPLIES 12

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The Software Compatability list for BE11 is at http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/286600.pdf

The answers you want are:
No
Probably Not

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Hi,

Mac on Intel is not currently supported, although it will be supported in our next build/version.

Thanks.

Dav_Banks
Level 3
Thanks!

Dav_Banks
Level 3
When will that come out?
Is XSAN supported?

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Hi Dav,

It should be out soon (notice how I can't release anymore information than that). As far as XSAN goes, it looks like you'd need the Quantum StorNext File System client installed on the Windows box in order to talk to it, but I don't think we've run any tests like that here. It should work if Windows is able to talk to it ok. I would highly recommend you run some tests between the Windows box and the Mac before considering anything. If they transfer files and communicate well, then we should work ok.

Thanks.

Matthew1
Level 3
Sandy,
I'm curious, will this be an upgrade to the Server side ie. 12d or the backup agent side? We are eagerly awaiting this updated as our Intel Macs are being backed up in a very kludgey fashion right now and look forward to being able to backup directly to the 11d server.

Thanks,
Matthew

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Matthew,

Our new build, 7170, is now available on FileConnect and our Trialware sites:

The version is still 11d, but you would need to upgrade the media servers to this version and make sure the new agent is loaded on the Macs.

Thanks.

Matthew1
Level 3
Thanks for the quick reply. We are downloading it now! :)

Matthew1
Level 3
Sandy,
 I installed the client on OS X with no issues.  However all of the permissions are incorrect. Owner and group are not set correctly and the execute bit isn't set correct.  Here is a (partial) directory listing of /opt/VRTSralus/bin:

-rw-rw-r--   1 10001  110      404 Mar 11 14:03 StartupParameters.plist
-rw-rw-r--   1 10001  110     2837 Mar 11 14:03 VRTSralus.init
-rwxrwxr-x   1 10001  110   432500 Mar 11 15:10 beremote
-rw-rw-r--   1 10001  110   401460 Mar 11 14:03 libbe_util.dylib
-rw-rw-r--   1 10001  110    76616 Mar 11 14:03 libbebsdu.dylib
...snip...

The execute bit isn't set on VRTSralus.init (maybe it's not supposed to be).  The owener and group don't seem correct being as they are set to 10001 and 110.  During the install it seems to have not added a beoper group. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Matthew,

All of the permissions are set correctly. The init file doesn't need the execute bit...it's not used on the Mac, and beoper is not needed on Mac installs. Mac users need to just be marked as an admin.

Thanks.

Matthew1
Level 3
Sandy,
 So once it's installed what's the Macs equivilent of the /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init on linux to start and stop it?

Thanks again!

Matthew

CNS
Not applicable
sudo SystemStarter start/stop VRTSrams

The install sets this up as a startup item, so the above will work. This has the OS make the change in service, so it knows about it.

-Dave