cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail folder restore failing with Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.

help_me_rondo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone,

I have a client giving me the heeby jeebies when restoring a mail folder to the original location or an alternate location.

SERVER:
Windows SBS2008 with AD, DHCP, DNS. File Services, NPA, Term Servs, IIS roles installed.
BE 12.5 for Windows Servers (Small Business Server Suite).
Exchange 2007 with Exchange Management Tools installed.

SITUATION:
A user has "accidentally" moved a folder from Inbox ot Junk Mail folder. They've then gone and emptied the Junk Mail folder. Now they need this folder back.
Attempts to restore the folder to original or alternate locations always fail. The restore job always hit the same byte count, 7176406 bytes, then waits to time out before finally failing the job.(usually 14 or 15 minutes)

The job log reads:
Job ended: Thursday, 8 March 2012 at 4:52:59 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932

I'm really tearing my hair out here as all the Symantec articles that the error log links to are suggesting scenarios/resolutions that aren't applicable to my clients setup. 

Any help in resolving this is very very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Help Me Rondo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Could you please post if the restore is been done from disk or tape? In case if doing restore from tape duplicate the job first to disk & then try doing restore

Also you can enable logging , for this in Backupexec go to tool-support utility-click debug monitor & check the box engine ,server ,device-media & 3rd party debug o/p & capture to file & then run the restore again once the job is failed please stop the debug & In debug monitor that is SGMON click on open file & then upload it here with the job log too

Also you can check this link if doing restore from disk

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86155

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Could you please post if the restore is been done from disk or tape? In case if doing restore from tape duplicate the job first to disk & then try doing restore

Also you can enable logging , for this in Backupexec go to tool-support utility-click debug monitor & check the box engine ,server ,device-media & 3rd party debug o/p & capture to file & then run the restore again once the job is failed please stop the debug & In debug monitor that is SGMON click on open file & then upload it here with the job log too

Also you can check this link if doing restore from disk

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86155

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If it was a GRT backup to tape, then it stages to disk, with the default location being C:\Temp. This needs as much free space as your Information Store is big.

If you don't have this, then backups fail, and versions of BE before BE 2010 were notorious for this.

Follow my article below which will help you to stage to disk first, and then restore from there.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

help_me_rondo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Sorry for the delay guys, been a bit ill of health lately :(

Thanks for all your help and responses, turns out that by duplicating the backup job to disk and then attempting the exchange mail restore form there worked a treat. Cheers backup-exec :):):)

Not entirely sure as to why, but restoring the mailbox to original location fromt eh duplicate backup set worked first time, whereas restoring from original backup set on tape wouldn't, regardless of which user acocunt you used to run the job.

Thanks agian everyone, hope this thread helps others experiencing the same ultra-frustrating situation.

Cheers,

Help Me Rondo

help_me_rondo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

cheers for the help, Craig!

I checked the Temp staging settings and despite having ample room to stage the exchange mail store in the default C:\Temp, I've decided to change this default setting to a local 750GB drive, so we will never EVER run into staging/disk space issues agian, cheers for the heads up on this one mate... it might not have solved the problem, though it has helped improve our setup significantly for future restores so cheers for the tip