Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail notification doesn't include job log if job is created by Policy

SG
Level 4
Hi there,

I have a strange behaviour within Backup Exec:

If I created a "normal" job with Job Setup > Jobs, activate the email notification within the job and choose "Include job log with a notification..." this works fine.

001.gif

I receive a mail after the backup job finished which includes the .htm-job log.

But as soon as I use Policies (Job Setup > Policies) and let Backup Exec create the backup jobs by this policy I only receive the mail notification without the .htm-job log.

I already unchecked the check box and activated it again with the backup job in the policy but without success - no job log...

Any ideas as the recipients do need also the job log within the Backup Exec mails?

My environment:

BE Media Server: Windows Server 2003 R2, english, 32 bit with Backup Exec 12.5 SP3

Best regards,
 SG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi SG,

that's a known issue.
Read the following:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288248.htm

You will have to configure alert categories.
had to do it like this with a customer system, too.

1. click on „Alerts“
2. choose „configure alert categories“
3. choose in the new window under „alert categories“ „job success“
4. check „enable alerts for this category“
5. check „Send notifications to selected recipients“
6. click onto „recipients“ and add the recipient(s)
7. check „Include job log with a notification to an e-mail or printer recipient” to get the job log attached
8. set the retention period for the alert if you like with „Automatically clear alert after“

best regards

Dominik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi SG,

that's a known issue.
Read the following:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288248.htm

You will have to configure alert categories.
had to do it like this with a customer system, too.

1. click on „Alerts“
2. choose „configure alert categories“
3. choose in the new window under „alert categories“ „job success“
4. check „enable alerts for this category“
5. check „Send notifications to selected recipients“
6. click onto „recipients“ and add the recipient(s)
7. check „Include job log with a notification to an e-mail or printer recipient” to get the job log attached
8. set the retention period for the alert if you like with „Automatically clear alert after“

best regards

Dominik

SG
Level 4
Hi Dominik,

thanks a lot - you saved my day! First I thought, that I am to stupid, but reading the sentence...

This issue is currently being considered by Symantec Corporation to be addressed in the next major revision of the product. There are no plans to address this issue by way of a patch or hotfix in the current or previous versions of the software at the present time.

... in the official Symantec article makes me laughing. The customer has to wait for a next major release to get such a little bug fixed. And if they decided to not fix it, why didn't they e.g. disable the functionality within policies with BE 12.5 SP3??

I love Symantec... :D

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Good to hear, that you are able to receive the job logs with this workaround. ;)
As i read your last post, it reminded me to test if this bug still exists in the BE 2010 beta. ;)

I would appreciate if you mark my pervious post as the solution. This marks the thread as been solved and of course adds some extra points to my profile. ;)

Thank you!