cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox job hangs on last mailbox

todd_zemler
Level 3
Our Exchange 2003 server crashed. Bad motherboard. Replaced motherboard. Booted up no probs, email works fine. Now when the mailbox job runs it hangs at the end and will continue to hang until the job is cancelled. Figured the Exchange DB got corrupt during the crash. Ran the ISinteg check, it fixed a few problems but the job still hangs. Looked on the Symantec support site and it says to upgrade to BE 11...WTF. I did break the job into two parts Mailboxes_A-J and Mailboxes_K-Z and they complete successfully. But if a new user is added I have to edit the backup job and manually select their mailbox for it to get backed up. Any help would be awesome.

Message Edited by todd zemler on 04-10-200702:13 PM

6 REPLIES 6

lebisol
Level 3
Why bother with bricks? If there is a single msg in a single mailbox that is courroupted it is enough to delay if not hang your backup. With shadow copy and mailbox retention set right you really should only backup information store.
All the best!

todd_zemler
Level 3
Thanks but that doesn't help me. We restore individual mailboxes on occasion for audits.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I thought that's what the SRG was for?

lebisol
Level 3
Hi Todd,
Ken pointed you in the right direction but I can understand if there is no room on the server or you do not want to invest in hardware.
Don't get me wrong it took a long time for me to break away from bricks...so convinient and non intrusive.
Rather then having 12-14 hrs of mailboxes backups I would rather backup InformationStore (in about 75% less of time) and then use 3rd party tool to extract mailboxes or even individual messages if it really must be done on the spot.
My choices are:

For what is worth....

All the best!

todd_zemler
Level 3
Thanks, I'll take a look at those tools. Currently we back up both the store and mailboxes. Our store takes about 12 min to backup. Our mailboxes take about 1.5 hrs. Yes, we're small. I wouldn't do the mailboxes if I didn't have to but my boss.

I called Symantec support yesterday. Was on hold 58 min. Finally got a guy who pointed me to this article and told me they had no solution and to upgrade to 11d.

lebisol
Level 3
Hi Todd,
Well, you did your homework so present the article and solution to your boss and have him make the decission.
(upgrade is one of the saddest solutions offered by any company...imagine if you bought the car and fix is buy our new 2007 edition to fix your breaks).
I like booth of tools and they work extremly well while powercontrols is less $.
In any case, you did your job. :)
All the best!