cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox restore

BDL46142
Level 4

I'm sure the information is around here somewhere, but for the life of me I must be overlooking at it. Can someone point me to a step-by-step on restoring an individual mailbox for Exchange 2003? I have a user that shift+del everything in her inbox like 2 weeks ago and just let me know...but somehow it's critical that she gets it back ASAP.

I'm using Backup Exec 2010....GRT setting for Exchange...my Exchange server is on a different box than my Backup Exec media server...doing a full backup daily to tape...and I don't want to lose any emails she's gotten since

I'm not sure if you need all that info, but there it is and I can supply more if needed. I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a quick how-to.

Thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Inventory and Catalog the TAPE on which you have the backups. Right Click on the TAPE or the B2D folder and click on Restore Data. Select the Mailbox that you need to restore, if the Mailbox is deleted check the Recreate mailbox option and perform a restore...

BDL46142
Level 4

Can it really be that simple?! Thanks so much for the quick response...I guess I should get to work.

Dev_T
Level 6
Did it worked?

BDL46142
Level 4
Sorry. Something came up yesterday and that user was put on the back burner. I just got around to trying it, and I must be missing something. I've got the tapes inventoried and cataloged. When I go to do the restore job I can drill down through the server and choose the storage group and then the mailbox store but I can't drill down further to see the mailboxes included in that. There are different options beneath Destination>Microsoft Exchange Redirection and Settings>Microsoft Exchange....is there something in there that needs done?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Was GRT enabled in the Backup job?

BDL46142
Level 4
Yes. If I open the "Options - Set Defaults and Application Settings" box and look under Job Defaults (on the left) and Microsoft Exchange; the Information Store backup method is set to Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs) and there is a check mark in the Use GRT box.

BDL46142
Level 4

I should also mention that i checked some other days just to make sure there wasn't something "funky" going on with the day I wanted to restore.

BDL46142
Level 4

Even though it was set to use GRT in the default option screen, it wasn't set up as such on the daily job. Could this be the problem? I'm ok with telling this user they're S.O.L, but I'd like to try to make sure I have this working for future issues.

Dev_T
Level 6
Unfortunately, If the GRT option is not selected in the Backup job, we wont be able to restore any individual item from Exchange backups

BDL46142
Level 4
It is what it is. I've been thrust into this role and have been cleaning up messes left and right. I'm just curious though; how would it be that it was set in the Job Defaults Option screen and not on the job itself? Is the default option screen misleading....was it a fluke....could it have been caused if the job was created prior to changing the job defaults? I just like to know what mistakes to avoid in the future. Going forward; do you believe that by setting that in the job itself that mailboxes will be able to be recovered individually? Obviously I can test that tonight, I just want to make sure there isn't something else that may be overlooked.

Thanks again for the help.

Dev_T
Level 6
Open the original job properties and go to the Microsoft Exchange part and check if GRT is enabled OR disabled...this will be conslusive evidance if GRT was used OR not....

BDL46142
Level 4
The daily job properties didn't have it set when I first got in there. GRT was checked in default options, but not in the job that runs daily. I wasn't sure if you meant for me to look in the job history for the day in question that i tried to restore, so i looked in there. I didn't see any mention of GRT one way or another in the job history/log. If I'm not understanding you I apologize.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

go to the job setup tab, right click on the daily backup job and go to peoperties-->go to exchange and check for GRT...

BDL46142
Level 4
That's where I was at and it was not checked. It had been checked in the tools>options screen, but was blank on the job's properties screen. I have since changed it.

Dev_T
Level 6
Fine....this means that we wont be able to restore individual item from exchange backup, but if you want to restore mailbox from early backups you can definitely restore it to recovery stotage group and run exmerg....

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264815.htm

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid43_gci1294099,00.html

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please mark it as solution if it helped you...

BDL46142
Level 4
Thanks again for all your help. I've got some other things that need attention first and then i'll head down that path.

Dev_T
Level 6

ANy news here?