cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintain Transaction Logs.

Vdang
Level 4

Hello Gents/Ladies,

I have been having issues with my backup job lately and it is with regards to SQL Server backups.

I have been getting the follow error messages and I am unsure how to resolve this issue on both of our Full to Tape as well as Differential to Tape:

V-79-40960-37914 - Database ProspectTracker is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups are not being performed. This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space. Regular log backups should be scheduled or the database should be changed to the simple recovery mode. 

V-79-40960-37914 - Database ReportServer is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups are not being performed. This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space. Regular log backups should be scheduled or the database should be changed to the simple recovery mode.

What I do know is that my boss does not want to change our Database ReportServer to simple recovery mode. Therefore, if someone can provide some light into this issue that would be helpful.

Sincerely,
Vinh Dang

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you maintain transaction logs, you need to clear the logs.  Otherwise they will grow and fill up your disks.  See my article below on how to backup and clear your transaction logs.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-sql-logs-and-truncate-them-be-2012

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you maintain transaction logs, you need to clear the logs.  Otherwise they will grow and fill up your disks.  See my article below on how to backup and clear your transaction logs.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-sql-logs-and-truncate-them-be-2012

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Full/ diff backup will not truncate the sql logs.

Only incremental (Log backup) will truncate the sql logs

Looks like you are not running a log backup hence backup exec is warning you and telling you backup the logs so that it can be truncated

after 11 full backups and no incremental backup in the middle BE will generate this exception.

Solution is run an incremental backup between this time.

Refer to this article for more details

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126063

Vdang
Level 4

Wow you guys are fast. I like that.

On a different note so what you guys are basically saying is that I should add another job "incremental" and it should run after the Full SQL backup job?

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Yes

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  See my article which is referenced in my earlier answer.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hello vdang, In addition to kunal and pkh make sure to run log backup and not log no truncate backup....please have a look at the article below http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73853 FYI : once logs are backed they will be truncated however disk space will not be reclaimed which was used by this logs in order reclaim disk space you would have to use dbcc shrink or in sql management studio use option to shrink database files and database...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have covered the log space reclamation in my article referenced above.

Vdang
Level 4

Thanks for the information, but I have a question and that is how would I be able to restore my database along with the transcation log if somehow it got corrupted? Like I have mention before I am running two types of job, Full and Differental backup.

By adding the incremental transcation log backup would that created a two step process to  restore a database to the point of failure? If you can could provide in depth detail with on how this is actually done?

In addition, I have not have the need to restored a SQL database before, but I would like to know the process of doing so involving an incremental transaction log backup.