cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining Catalog in Backup Exec 2010

shamee
Level 5

Hi,

How to maintain Catalogs in Backup Exec 2010? Can someone please send me some info? Thanks.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You don't...BE does this daily at 4AM.

It is an automatic process, although you can set the retention time for catalogs. Shorten them, and this is only for catalogs going forward (ie. new catalogs). When the BEDB maintenance tasks runs it prunes them from the database and keeps disk space down. This would be under Tools --> Options --> and under Catalogs from what I remember. Look for the option to Truncate Catalogs and set this higher or lower.

Extend them and you have less catalogging of expired tapes.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

You don't...BE does this daily at 4AM.

It is an automatic process, although you can set the retention time for catalogs. Shorten them, and this is only for catalogs going forward (ie. new catalogs). When the BEDB maintenance tasks runs it prunes them from the database and keeps disk space down. This would be under Tools --> Options --> and under Catalogs from what I remember. Look for the option to Truncate Catalogs and set this higher or lower.

Extend them and you have less catalogging of expired tapes.

Thanks!

shamee
Level 5

Thanks Craig. Also can you suggest how to backup Catalogs? Do we need separate Tapes for this?

CraigV

Hi,

Backup the Catalogs folders as part of your normal nightly backup job.

You might also want to backup the Data folder, or at least bedb.bak!

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As an extra point to CraigV's comments - Any backup sets that are overwritten (tape sets) or reclaimed by DLM (disk sets) have their catalogs removed at the time the overwrite or reclaim occurs as there is no point in keeping a catalog when the original media no longer exists.