cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major MS Exchange issue. Need to ensure a good backup is peformed

EvanNY
Level 4

We had a major 2007 Exchange issue.  One of our CCR nodes failed, and now we are running the Cluster with only one node. 

Therefore we are having an issue with Truncation of the log files.

This coming weekend we hope to bring up the node, and get the cluster back online.  However before we do so we want to make sure our backup is good.

Currently we Backup Exec 12.5 do a full backup every night of the Information Stores, but not the log files.  Are those log file folder necessary to backup incase we have a major failure and need to restore from tape?

We have another system doing the system state backup.

See screen capture below to see our selection list.

Thanks for the help!

-Evan

exchange.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  the transaction logs are important in case they need to be used in recovery in case damage happens to the database.  This TN should give you what you want to know   http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73201

EvanNY
Level 4

A bit confused...

The backkup method I am using in BE12.5 under exchange options is:

Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs). Select this method to back up the databases as well as their associated transaction log files. After the databases and transaction logs are backed up, the transaction log files for which all transactions are committed to the database are then deleted.

Do I still need to select those shared folders listed in my original post?

I have noticed that since my logs are not being truncated, my backup jobs have increased tremendously, but i do not see the logs on my tapes?  Should i be able to see them?

Thanks again!

EvanNY
Level 4

Does anyone have any thoughts on my issue in the original post.  As you can see in my previous reply we are doing a Full backup...

The backkup method I am using in BE12.5 under exchange options is:

Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs). Select this method to back up the databases as well as their associated transaction log files. After the databases and transaction logs are backed up, the transaction log files for which all transactions are committed to the database are then deleted.

Do I still need to select those shared folders listed in my original post?

I have noticed that since my logs are not being truncated, my backup jobs have increased tremendously, but i do not see the logs on my tapes?  Should i be able to see them?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No need to select the shared folders.

yes, you can see the logs in the restore selections. Ensure you highlight the backup set data and not the Mailbox DB. Here is a sample pic attached. If you notice, if the date of the backup set is selected, the mailbox and logs are displayed on the right-side.