cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually added Windows Systems doesn't appear in the Favorite Resources in Windows Systems

cpatte7372
Level 4

Hello,

My company has recently purchased Backup Exec for Windows Servers. We are hoping to roll it out to begin backing up our critical systems next. We are currently prevented to roll it out because in our test lab each time we add a remote windows system we get the successful message the the 'Windows system was added successfully. However, the system doesn't appear. The message also says it may take some time for the the system to appear - we have been waiting two days!!!

This is lab environment so there aren't any firewall or antivirus software installed to block port 10000 (or any port).

The strange thing is, we successfully remotely pushed the agent onto the system. The publish option is enabled. We can ping/connect to the remote system.

This is severely holding up production.

We have a support license and we're told that this was a moderated forum and someone from the support team would get back to us shortly. Therefore, I sincerely hope to hear from someone soon.

Cheers

26 REPLIES 26

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You don't need to add computers to Favourite Resources to back them up.  In the backup selection list, expand Microsoft Windows Network and then your domain.  You should be able to see all the computers in your domain.  You can then select them for backup

If this solves your problem, please mark it as the solution

HarishKaran
Level 2
Hi,

You can also use the below mentioned way to select the computer you wish to backup.

Right click on User-defined Selection and add the computer you wish to take the backup. 

Regards,
Harish

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Run vxmon.exe (default loaction for remote agent \program files\symantec\backup exec\raws) on your remote servers and make sure that the Publishing tab shows that it is enabled and publishing to your media server (by name and/or IP address)

cpatte7372
Level 4
Gentleman,

Thanks for getting back to me. However, I do need to be able add remote computers as I intend on backing up systems that aren't in my domain. Please help. I've tried everything but they won't appear in list.

Colin,  the Publishing tab is enabled and publishing to our media server.

As I mentioned, this is lab environment. How am I to use in the product in a live environment.

Please help

Cheers

Carlton

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Add the remote computers in the different using the IP Address in the "User Defined Selections" in the Backup Exec Selection List.

(I believe there is a trust between these two domains)
Add the Backup Exec Service Account as a member of Local Admin on the remote computer.

Lastly, edit the hosts file on BE server and rmeote server adding the entries of each other.

hope this helps...

cpatte7372
Level 4
Hi Dev T

Thanks for getting back to me mate.

The strange this is, I can add the remote computers in the "User Defined Selections" using the IP address. However, we have paid a lot of money for this product and we should be able to see the remote computer under "Windows System" within the "Favorite Resources"

I should point out that this product is not to be used within our organization. I am starting a BackUp and Disaster Recovery business and the remote computers will be from various companies. Therefore, there won't be any Trust relationships between my company and the various companies that I will be backing up. This is why its soooooooo important to be able to see the remote systems.

If I can't view the remote systems in a lab environment how is product going to help us when we go live?

If you or anyone else can help further it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Carlton

cpatte7372
Level 4
Dev T

Also, if I add the remote systems in the "User Defined Selections"  using the IP address and I add 100 remote systems it will be impossible to identify them based on just ip address. Is there a way of renaming/identifying the remote systems within the "User Defined Selections"? If its not possible and I'm unable to view the remote systems under "Favorite Resources" we serious may have to consider on getting a refund.

Cheers

Carlton

cpatte7372
Level 4
All,

I think I may have found out the reason why the remote system doesn't appear after I manually add it. I believe its because although BE recognises the ip address its not able to resolve the ip address to a name due to dns.
Therefore, I manually resolved the ip address to a name in the host file. However, the remote system still won't appear in "Favorite Resources"

Please help me.

Carlton

cpatte7372
Level 4
Can someone please help?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I think there is some issue with the DNS as the Media Server and the remote server are in different domains..

Have you checked expanding Domains in the Selection list?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do you have any firewalls in your Lab environment?  There are some tweaks you need to make when backing up through firewalls

See  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278944.htm

cpatte7372
Level 4
Ken,

Thanks for getting back to me. As I mentioned, we are currently working in lab environment and so have no firewalls.

Carlton

cpatte7372
Level 4
Dev T,

I'm not sure what you mean?

However, I don't understand how I can remotely push the agent the remote system back not add it to the Favorites. I should mention that I'm adding using the ip address. However, it doesn't recognise the name.

Anymore suggestions?

Cheers mate.

Carlton

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried expanding the selection list under Domains-->Active Directory Domains
OR
Under Domains-->Microsoft Windows Network

domains.JPG

cpatte7372
Level 4
Dev

I've even mapped the ip address to a hostname in the host file and it still won't appear in the favorites.....

cpatte7372
Level 4
Dev T,

Thanks for sticking with me with this issue.

I now understand what you mean. However, because the company's that I will be selling backup services won't be part of my domain I won't have the administrative permissions to access it.

Am I making sense?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

We can try adding the server in "Favorite Resources"

If the computer doesn't show in the Favorite folder, add it manually in the backup server. To add a Windows server, right click on Windows Systems under Favorite Resources. Highlight Add Windows Systems. In the System Name, type the computer host name and click OK to save it.

backupexec2.JPG

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I researched and got to the conclusion that we will be able to see only those servers under "Favourate Resources" which are in the same domain OR network. If we want to add any resource from a different domain, network Or DMZ we need to add them through "User Defined Selections"

cpatte7372
Level 4
Dev T,

Thanks again for doing the research into this issue. If the only other way is to add them through "User Defined Selections", with the ip address, is it possible to rename the ip address?

Cheers mate.