cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapped drives

Ashfaq2305
Level 2

Hi 

I have recently installed Backup Exec 2012 on a Windows server 2008. I have mapped a network drive on it and would like to back up its contents. I am unable to do so.

I am unable to see the mapped drives on the user interface while doing a backup on the local server. 

Also i tried to create a shortcut on the desktop, I was able to see it but when my backup was over, only the icon was backed up.

Can somebody please advise how to to backup mapped drives on the local media server.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

You cannot backup Mapped Network Drives using Backup Exec.

Agent for Windows (AWS) must be installed on the remote machine, only thn you can backup its contents.

Agent for Windows is a licensed options, you can check the cost of it with your reseller in case you don't already have one... 

For more information on licensing check the Licensing Guide for Backup Exec 2012 - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179142 - How to install Agent for Windows for Backup Exec 2012

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Mapped drives are associated with an online session.  Since BE jobs run as batch jobs, you would not be able to see mapped drives in your jobs.

What you need to do is to click on the Add Server button and then add the network drive as a file server using its UNC path.

ltjimster
Level 6

What are they mapped drives of?

If you use Microsoft Fail over Cluster that maybe something that may help your situation.

We have a SAN system attached to 3 servers that we host our Hyper -V's and data on and if you make a "Cluster shared Volume" that all 3 servers will see on their local drives even though it's hosted on the SAN.

You only then need to open Backup Exec and in the selection list choice any of the servers that are in the Failover Cluster, select C drive and the "Shared Cluster Volume" that will appear on the servers local drive.

We also have some mapped drives from the SAN system that are mapped between servers in the cluster and again you can just select the mapped drive from the server with the mapped drive in the Backup Selection box F: or G: drive for example, Job done :)

Hope this helps

James