cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Capacity Check is failing

Simon_Butt
Level 3
My back-ups are failing so I did a test run and found that the Media Capacity Check and the Media Check were both failing. I downloaded the latest service pack and now the Media Check is a success and I get the following message:

Media Capacity Check
Device : HP 1
Online append capacity : 19,491 MB
Online overwrite capacity: 19,520 MB
Total append capacity : 151,084 MB
Total overwrite capacity : 480,542 MB
Capacity check status : Failed
Miscellaneous :

Media Check
Online media check : Media is online or nearline to start job.
Overwrite media check: There is media online or nearline that can be overwritten.
Media check status : Success

Any ideas what is causing this? The backups always worked fine in the past and I get this message whether I put in a 20 gig or 40 gig tape. I should also mention that I'm using software compression and that the backup is set to overwrite.

Thanks

Simon
9 REPLIES 9

Amorphous_Sage
Level 4
Hi, not sure if this is related but I am getting this error on all my test runs as compression appears to have been broken by the 9.1 + SP4a build. My tape is 20/40 and should hold the 22Gb dataset with compression but it fails. Also have second server - totally different build (by othe rpeople) with 40/80DLT and it does exactly the same.

Run the job and only 1:1 compression is shown (On the Media tab find the tape just written, it says what comopression it achieved in the properties).

Are you running 9,1 + sp4a? I've had this issue for weeks now and have tried everything - Im sure it must be down to the recent updates.

Any Veritas staff listening?????????

Simon_Butt
Level 3
Can anyone help with this?

Amorphous_Sage
Level 4
Yes can anyone (VERITAS/SYMANTEC/PASSING ARCSERVE engineer) help with this?

If you are a Veritas employee *please* can you ask tech support what has happened to break compression? i have been using Backupexec for 10 years and its never caused issues I couldn't solve, untill this.

Review the other questions re compression failing in 9.1 to realise this IS a BE issue.

Thanks.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Have you check even after Media Capacity Check fails whether the backup job with Software compression runs in a correct manner or .. ?

Try with a new tape..

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Andrew_O_Leary
Level 2
Hi, Im having the same error as this - i posted about this in a thread earlier. Ive tried a new tape and no the backup dosent run after this. It hangs at a point in the backup.
Thanks
Andrew

Simon_Butt
Level 3
I have another open thread with the same topic. The backup fails as well as the test run. It does not matter which tape I use.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Pleases let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can archive this post.

However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Simon_Butt
Level 3
This had no effect.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.