cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Operation Terminated by the User

A_Russell
Level 4
e0008445: Media operation terminated by the user.

We are receiving this same error every week when a certain machine is backed up. We recently updated from Build 5484 to Build 5520.

I have searched this forum and the Knowledge Base and came across this document.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274516
We do NOT have Enable Automatic Cancellation checked.

What could be causing this error? The user is not terminating the job; their machine is backed up overnight.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Are you backing up remote and local data in the same backup job ?

Please check if any Alert is generated and needs to be replied (User response!)

Update us on the same issue.

Thank you,
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

A_Russell
Level 4
We are backing up remote data only in this job. No Alert is generated within BackUp Exec that requires a user response. The only alert is after the job has failed.

Thanks

A_Russell
Level 4
e0008445: Media operation terminated by the user.

The job failed again this week on the same remote machine, but at a different location. There isn't one specific file that's killing the job. It varies from week to week.

I tried backing up this machine to a Backup-to-Disk folder. I got the same "Media operation terminated by the user" error.

What should I be looking for on this remote machine? I assume the problem is there. We can back up the C and D drives, but the job always fails on the E drive and never gets a chance to back up the H and I drives.

Any suggestions?

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

We would suggest you configure Backup Exec so that the alerts are responded to automatically. In one of the earlier posts you had mentioned that there are no alerts found. But this could happen that these alerts are responded to some point of time later which might also hinder the progress of the backup job.
Please go through the following document link to perform the suggested configuration to automatically respond to alerts.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254685

Also check for errors in event logs. Please inform us about them.

Also, as test try with Windows NTBackup to isolate the issue.

A_Russell
Level 4
I have already configured Backup Exec to respond to alerts automatically.

In the event log, there seems to be an error with Event ID:7 every day. We have already upgraded to 5520, installed the Veritas drivers and cleaned the tape drive. I don't think the problem is the tape drive.

I don't have problems with any of my other backup jobs the other 4 nights. It is only this specific remote machine that seems to be problematic.

I will try with NTBackup tonight.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Event id 7 also points to Hardware errors. Also get back to us with detailed information and also the results of tests performed with NT Backup.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec

security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads

for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following

document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001,

VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two
business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed
answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
I would enable debug logging to attempt to get more information. Creating debug logs is a little easier in Version 10: Open BEUtility %install path%\veritas\backup exec\nt\beutility.exe, and add your server to the All media servers group. Right-mouse click on your server and choose 'Enable Debug Logs' and get information from the job engine and remote agent. The logs will be stored in %install path%\veritas\backup exec\nt\logs

A_Russell
Level 4
I enabled Debug Logs. Should I 'Enable Debug log for Server service' or 'Enable Debug log for Job Engine and Remote Agent service'? I assume the latter. Should I 'Log NDMP errors only' or 'Log flow messages'?

NTbackup backed up to the hard drive last night without any errors. I will try using NTbackup to back up to the tape drive later this week.

To give you a better idea of the problem, our server backs up 46 remote machines and 1local machine every week. The local machine and 45 of the remote machines have no problem. It is only a single remote machine that produces this error (Media operation terminated by user) every week.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
enable debug logs for job engine and remote agent service- log NDMP errors only.

Keep in mind that that I'm taking a wild guess based on your description that everything is fine except this client, so my thought process is that the remote client process is timing out when transfering data. Not a network problem, but perhaps very heavy disk fragmentation, or file indexing, or something that causes NDMP to say 'I can't send this file, I quit!'. If the logs don't indicate that, then I guess you'll know what its not.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

Also for the event id 7 that you have mentioned please see the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/241684

Also update us whether you still receive event id 7 on the device.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

A_Russell
Level 4
I read the technote you provided (241684) and in the data block of the event (id:7) bytes 3C, 3D and 3E are 00, 00, and 03. According to the technote, this means a medium error? This event id 7 occurs everyday starting at 6AM. It doesn't matter if a backup job is scheduled or not. Everyday at 6 AM. I realized this is when I have the virus softwared scheduled to run the On-Demand Scan.

I don't think this event id 7 has anything to do with my original problem (Media Operation Terminated by User) occurring for a single machine every week. This machine is scheduled to be backed up Friday. I will check out the debug logs, as Ray suggests, after then.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us the results of the Ntbackup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

A_Russell
Level 4
I used Backup Exec with Debug Logs enabled. The backup job didn't complete, because 'Media Operation Terminated by User'. What exactly am I looking for in the Debug Logs?

I will try the job using NTbackup tonight.

A_Russell
Level 4
Now this has happened every night this week. It is no longer restricted to one machine.

What is causing this "Media operation terminated by User" error?

I have reviewed the log file -bengine04.log
At the time of job termination it contains lines such as these:

08/03/05 21:36:57 ERROR: 13 Error: Invalid state to process request

08/03/05 21:37:03 Error detected

What does this mean?
Thanks.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please chheck if the tape is getting full and the job is spanning tapes. Also check if you have any media alerts in the alerts tab.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

A_Russell
Level 4
No the tape is not getting full. The job terminates when the tape is at maybe 25% of capacity. The job is not spanning tapes. There are no media alerts created.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Use the option Retension if available.
- If not perform a long erase on the tape and then try a backup on it and verify the result.

Adam_Migus
Level 3
I am getting the same behavior. Almost every job is failing. My jobs are backup-to-disk jobs so the tape drive is not an issue. I also do NOT have automatic job cancelation enabled and the jobs are running (and terminating) within the time windows. I also saw the behvior start sporatically and increase dramatically to a level where almost all the jobs fail.

Adam_Migus
Level 3
Do I have to start a new thread to get an answer regarding this issue?