cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server Disaster Recovery

gino_latino
Level 2

Hi,

we are backing up our physical media server to tape (SDR).

In case of a complete recovery I need to:

- Build a new server

- Attach the tape library to the new server

- Boot from SDR recovery disk

- Specify the disaster recovery information file (.DR) - Not on tape

- Follow the wizard

I have a doubt that is the .dr file cannot reside on the tape.

Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For tape backup sets, the .dr files are not kept on tape.  Since the media server is not running, for SDR to access a backup set on tape, you need to keep the .dr file on a separate device like a thumb-drive.  During the SDR process, access the .dr file on the thumb drive and the .dr file will then point to the backup set on the tape drive.  

You don't need a separate .dr file to access a tape backup set if you have the media server running and the backup set is cataloged.  That is, you are recovering a remote server and not a media server as in your problem.

The "The data is located on devices locally attached to this computer" option is for you to access backup sets which are on disk.  These will have the .dr file saved together with the backup sets.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

.DR file can be present on tape with the tape drive locally attached to the server whose recovery is being performed.

gino_latino
Level 2

Thanks VJware,

I have to prepare a procedure in case of backup exec disaster recovery event.

Our 2 MMS have a SAS Tape Library.

As I said I'm backing up the media server using SDR.

The restore procedure will be:

- Build a new server

- Attach the tape library to the new server

- Boot from SDR recovery disk

- Select "The data is located on devices locally attached to this computer"

- Follow the wizard

Can you confirm that the SDR recovery wizard can read all the information needed from the SDR backup set stored on the tape?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Pretty much yeah.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For tape backup sets, the .dr files are not kept on tape.  Since the media server is not running, for SDR to access a backup set on tape, you need to keep the .dr file on a separate device like a thumb-drive.  During the SDR process, access the .dr file on the thumb drive and the .dr file will then point to the backup set on the tape drive.  

You don't need a separate .dr file to access a tape backup set if you have the media server running and the backup set is cataloged.  That is, you are recovering a remote server and not a media server as in your problem.

The "The data is located on devices locally attached to this computer" option is for you to access backup sets which are on disk.  These will have the .dr file saved together with the backup sets.

Colin_Weaver

I believe that pkh is correct that for a tape based restore of a media server using SDR you will need the .DR file (with easiest way to use it being on a USB pen drive)

I am still trying to clarify with VJware as to why he/she has posted a different opinion.

Colin_Weaver

Just to help others reading this thread - support recently had to assist a customer with manually using .DR files and made some notes at the time, which we subsequently wrote up in a public technote

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000115832

Note: the desciption in this TN matches the problem we were investigating at the time  but the solution steps and notes will help with any manual use of DR files when trying to access SDR backup sets on:

- locally attached tape

- locally attached USB

- locally attached RDX

- Network available (NAS) shares