cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server not 64bit currently using backupexec12.5 - planning to upgrade it to backupexec2010

tyk
Level 3
I am wondering if anyone here upgraded their 32 bit media server using backup12.5 to backupexec2010 yet? if so, I need some tips and advice.

Thanks a lot!
13 REPLIES 13

tyk
Level 3
The main question is - would it work?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec 2010 is also available in 32-bit version. Before an upgrade we must take some precautions.
1  : Stop all the BE12.5 Services and the SQL Service(BKUPEXEC) service
2  : Go to C:\Prog. files\Symantec\Backup Exec and copy 2 folders DATA & CATALOGS on a safe location.
      (This is the BACKUP of our BE12.5, incase upgrade fails we can use BE12.5)
3  : Start the SQL Service(BKUPEXEC) service first and then all the BE12.5 services.
4  : Start upgrade process by running the Browser.exe deom the BE2010 download.
5  : Follow the onscreen instructions and reboot the server.
6  : Push install the Remote Agent for BE2010 on the remote servers.
7  : Check if all the jobs are in place.

Hope this helps...

tyk
Level 3
 Dev- thanks for your response. I will do the upgrade and will let you know how it went.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
And keep in mind that the Deduplication cannot be used with 32bit installation of Backup Exec.

baxford
Level 3
I was in the same situation - 32bit 12.5 upgraded to 32bit 2010. I did the upgrade 2 days ago and have missed multiple backup jobs since. Support has offered little help. It took me a day to get past level 1 and now the level 2 people are sending me old tech articles about version 12.5. It took me several hours just to get the services started and now backup jobs are failing quicker than I can restart them. I haven't got an Exchange backup for 2 days. I had been trialing MS DPM 2010 and have started to move everything to DPM. Even though it is still not RTM it at least works!

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello Baxford,

THATS THE REASON THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

Before an upgrade we must take some precautions.
1  : Stop all the BE12.5 Services and the SQL Service(BKUPEXEC) service
2  : Go to C:\Prog. files\Symantec\Backup Exec and copy 2 folders DATA & CATALOGS on a safe location.
      (This is the BACKUP of our BE12.5, incase upgrade fails we can use BE12.5)

baxford
Level 3
The precautions were taken out of experience using the product for years. But at what point do you give up on the new version and roll back to the old version? This seems to happen for every upgrade of BE. I understand that there are always going to be a few issues with an upgrade but as we all know backups have to happen -- no matter what. We are not a big shop but do pay for support each year and expect better support for critical issues. If jobs fail and I have to restart them -- no big deal; but if I can't get a job to even start -- that's a big deal.

tyk
Level 3
Thanks baxford for your input! I will reconsider updating my backupexec 12.5 32 bit version to backupexec 2010 until everything is good to go.

baxford
Level 3
Well, here I am 2 days later and still no help from support. After hours (16+) on the phone with support and numerous techs collecting the same debug logs I have gotten 'we will call you back'. I have since moved all of our backups to DPM 2010. After 15 years using the BE product I am done with it!

TRB_IT_Team
Level 2

Hi all,

Same behaviour : migrating BEWS 12.5 to 2010 from an existing production server to a new one, following http://support.veritas.com/docs/287063.

Error 0x2000e2d1 when service "Backup Exec Device & Media Service" starts on my new media server (BEWS 2010).

Each guide or forum discussion about this point don't bring any solution..................

Nightmare !

Any one could help ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Guys,

I would suggest getting the latest patches from the Symantec site, and installing them when doing your upgrades. These are known to fix some of the issues currently being experienced. At a minimum, it means you are also patched at the current level.

Laters!

TRB_IT_Team
Level 2

BEWS 2010 installed itself on my new server finishing by running a LiveUpdate.

So, it seems to be up to date... isn't it ?

And right now, I'm not able to start the BE services on the new server.

Fortunately for myself, I played with zoning and the enjoy of fibre channel presentation configuration.... and so I have succeeded in coming back on the old solution (v12,5) that seems to continue to work.

But I've no idea about how to migrate my BE DB from 12.5 to 2010 version...

Has anybody a solution that works ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
It actually migrates your DB during the upgrade automatically. If not, follow this tech article:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286729.htm