cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Tape

Inventino
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I have a library tape and media tapes(LTO4) are 10.
If I have backed up data about 2TB.
One media tape is not enough.

I heard from someone that when frist media tape is full then another one media will be extended but
It will be appeared the popup message and you have to responding by manual(yes, no or cancel).

I don't know want this message responding. How to configure?

6 REPLIES 6

V_Dinesh
Level 3
Certified
Hi ,

As per my knowledge the netbackup will not give any pop-up message for extending the usage of media. In order to make netbackup to use the available media for the backup, you firrst need to create a volume pool (Media and Device management -->Volume Pools-->rightclick-->new). then you have to move those 2 tapes to the volume pool which you have created. (By just right clicking on the media, select change and click on new pool...) You will be getting the volume pool which you have created, just select it and give OK. Now you have mention this volume pool in the schedule which is there in the policy..... 

After all the above configurations, the netbackup would have the capability of using the second media if the first is completed.

Please reply if you still not getting the point.

Thanks
Dinesh.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you are using a library/loader and are NOT using partitions, the tapes should be changed automatically as long as enough scratch tapes are mounted with no operator intervention

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
What is the exact message that you ar receiving? Is it "Insert Overwritable Media"?
When you set up your backup job, what device did you choose? You haven't partitioned your autoloader have you?

Inventino
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hello Hywel Mallett and all,

Now i didn't configure backup job yet. I will implement for next week.
I just heard from someone about my frist explanation and i don't want message appeard.

The library is 16 slots: I will configure as partition as below:
1. slot no.16 for cleaning tape.
2. slot no.1 for full system backup (monthly job).
3. slot no.2-15 for data from storage ~ 2TB ( backup 2 times per week).

I don't know what is message?
I don't know whether message will be occured or not? 
I just want to make sure that tape should be changed  automatically if frist tape is not enough.

Do you have an idea?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you point your job to the large partition, it should automatically continue on a second, assuming of course that two scratch/overwriteable tapes are mounted

Inventino
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Thank you all.