cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Tapes appendable until - "Not Appendable"

anthonymarkmatt
Level 2

Hi, I'm newbie in this field. Using BE2010 R3, almost all the tapes were ejecting before a backup job starts to run but the tapes are not full.

I observed under media tab category that when a tape named color is blue which overwrite protection until is set to overwritable, it proceeds on performing the backup while in black, it keeps ejecting and its appendable until is set to "Not appendable" . The overwrite period was set to 4 weeks and appendable period is set to 6 days.
Please help what to do in order to make a backup using these black named tapes.

Thank you all.

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I would suggest you to read below article on Overwrite and Append Period.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH5459

pkh
   VIP    Certified
In addition to setting the OPP and AP, you need to check your job properties to see whether the job is set to overwrite or append. If you have still have problems, right-click on the appropriate tape and associate it with the Scratch Media set. This will make the tape overwritable and should get you out of the jam until you figure things out.

anthonymarkmatt
Level 2

Hi Sir pkh and AmoIB,

Thanks for the help.

Hi Sir pkh,

My job properties is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available".

Is my settings for OOP and AP are correct? Can you suggest me what appropriate settings to be used in OOP and AP. Since I'm using 3 sets of tapes, from Monday to Saturday.

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Nobody can set the OPP and AP for you.  These settings are dependent on your company's retention policy and have to be determined by you.  There is no point in me telling you to set your OPP to, say, 3 weeks when your company needs to retain its data for 1 year.

I would suggest that you read the Tape Management section of the Admin Guide to understand how to manage your tape.

anthonymarkmatt
Level 2

Thanks for the help sir. I just put the tapes in scratch media and adjust its append period.