cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media keeps being detected as cleaning media

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
I am currently running BE 2010 with a Exabyte VXA2 and VXA320 and I am seeing this issue more and more since upgrading to 2010. That issue is media is being detected as cleaning media and I have I have double checked to confirmed this is not the case with the tape itself or the labels. No matter how many times I inventory the slot and media it keeps coming back as this. In the past I was able to delete the media from cleaning media and then inventory. What should I do to resolve this now and possibly avoid this in the future as it's driving me crazy! Thank you in advance for any tips on how to correct.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
It must be the media is bad as I just inserted a new tape into that slot inventoried and it came back with the correct label, size, usem, etc.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Sean,

The link below MAY/MAY not resolve your issue, but look into it...it is for an earlier version, but there isn't anything to say that it won't help!

http://seer.support.veritas.com/highlight3.pl?phrase=cleaning&doc=docs/190522.htm#0

Cheers,

Craig

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I have seen it before and below are the steps that can be tried:

cleaning tape is the one which doesn't have the header information and when you put it in the drive it recognise as cleaning media. So if you header in the drive it self is corrupt then it will detect all the tapes as cleaning tapes.

1> Make sure symantec drivers are udpated to latest
2> Make sure the scsci / controller have the latest firmware and not issues with the tape drive or library itself.
3> Make sure you are not getting any system event id 7,9,11,15 related with tape drive hardware issues.
4> Make sure you are using the right LTO tapes with the right LTO drives or vice versa.
4> Recycle the library and the BE server.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Are you using correct barcodes (if there is a barcode reader installed)?
There are barcodes with a predefined cleaning note in it.

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
Tried both with no luck at all, is it possible the tape itself is corrupt at this point and not usable? is this typically an issue with BE or the tape drive itself?

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
if you already tried the above steps then it might be the drive or the tape. Try a brand new tape or try different tapes to isolate the issue with tape or tape drive. If it is showing it for all the tapes then it might be the drive that is bad

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I think Craig is on the right track in his post.  Please make sure you try that technote.  Please post your adamm.log file.

When BE cannot read a tape within a certain number of minutes, it assumes it must be a cleaning media.  When using a library, this can be caused by configurations that has BE putting the tape in the "wrong" drive, then not being able to read it in the drive it thinks it is in.

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4

There are 10 slots, the 10th is occupied by a true cleaning tape. Then slots 1-9 are media and all except slot 7 show-up properly. I ran test backups and those worked OK to the media and I was able to restore from the tapes. I guess at this point the media in slot 7 is bad.

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
It must be the media is bad as I just inserted a new tape into that slot inventoried and it came back with the correct label, size, usem, etc.