cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media mount failed - no mover was available to close out the last backup se

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
Hey guys,
I have a server that every couple of days will fail a job because it times out. The only reason I get in the job log is "Media mount failed" and the only Windows event I get is "No mover was available to close out the last backup set."

I'm using an HP SureStor tape library (BE says C7200-8000 changer) with a Quantum DLT 8000 drive, and Veritas device drivers. We are running Windows Server 2003, BackupExec 10.0.5520 w/ SP2. I have also applied the Windows Server 2003 VSS update recomended in one of the forum topics and it still gives me the same errors.

The job is a multi-server job, 4 servers backup remotely, then the final step of the job is the server that the tape library is connected to. It gets to the D: drive and fails. The funny thing is, it only fails once every couple of days.

I have tried what I can find in these forums, and I've run through the troubleshooting in these veritas articles:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/240947
http://support.veritas.com/docs/246967
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

It appears that everything I read tells me it's an issue with the tape library/drive but it seems to work fine for a few days, then fail - work fine for a few days, then fail so it's hard to believe that is the issue. Is there any other troubleshooting steps I could try to figure this one out?

Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Thomas,

It would be better if you upgrade to the latest version of Backup Exec:

The Backup Exec Version 10.1 build 5629 is the latest version of Backup Exec.

* Start the installation over the existing installation. You need not uninstal the earlier version.

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

You only need to reinstall the remote agents:

Here is the link:

How to perform a local installation of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258982

Also install the latest drivers for it:

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d (10.1.5629) - Device Driver Installer (20060415) - Includes Tape Driver Release (17) and Robotic Library Release (59) (Intel Only)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282974

Hope this helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
Thanks for the reply!

I went ahead and installed the version of BE that you recomended, as well as those new device drivers, and I have reinstalled the remote agent on the machines I needed to backup remotely.

I will reboot the server tonight and will let backups resume for a few days. Since the symptom only appears every couple of days, I think letting it run for 3 days should be a good test.

If everything's working good, I will go ahead and mark this questions answered.

Thanks again!

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Thomas,

Do keep us updated on the progress of the issue.

Thanks.

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
Sure, as a matter of face, it failed again last night after doing the upgrades. Same exact error:

Backup- D: Data
Media mount failed.
User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.
V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

I also got a new one on a remote server:

Backup- POTOMAC
An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.

I will troubleshoot this new one but I'm clueless as how to proceed with the original error.

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
The only thing I've found on this last error is to make sure that the VSS service is not disabled. We are not using VSS on this server so is there another work-around to get rid of this error about snapshot volumes?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes. OR An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up VERITAS Snapshot Provider (VSP) snapshots. Make sure that no other application has a lock on the cache files created by the snapshot operation.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276343

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
Ya, that's the same article I found which doesn't answer the question. What about my original issue. That's the one I'm worried about. I upgraded to the latest version of BE10.1 with the new device drivers and I'm still getting the "Media mount failed" but only on the local hard drives, not on any remote machines.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far guys!

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Do you receive any events in the event logs?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
That is the error:

EventID 57622: No mover was available to close out the last backup set.

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
Ok, for some reason my last post seems to disappear. Weird. Sorry if this is a duplicate:

EventID: 57622
No mover was available to close out the last backup set.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

the issue could be because of a hardware problem with the storage media device.

Kindly refer the following link

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253613.htm

Also slow down the transfer rate on the controller, clean the tape drive, and try using new media.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
Ok, I looked at that article which basically just told me that it could be a hardware issue which is what I've known from the beginning.

I am only using brand new media in the library and a brand new cleaning tape which is used in a cleaning job every Saturday.

The transfer rate doesn't appear to change whether it fails or not.

I'm not sure where to go from here... Any more suggestions?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Run the sgmon before running the backup job.

Please refer the following technote:

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
I've changed the backup job to seperate the servers and I'm testing it these next few days to see what happens. I will reply on Monday.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Please update us on the issue.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

paul_rozanski
Level 2
The ONLY support info about this problem suggests a problem with the hardware.

I have found the cause of this problem to be: you are exceeding the amount of data the tape can handle. Backup Exec is requesting another tape and timing out and cancelling the backup job. All data on that first tape has been properly backed up!!

Paul
paulrozanski@comcast.net

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Thomas,

Could you please Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Thanks.Message was edited by:
Amruta Bhide

Thomas_Condon
Level 3
> The ONLY support info about this problem suggests a
> problem with the hardware.
>
> I have found the cause of this problem to be: you are
> exceeding the amount of data the tape can handle.
> Backup Exec is requesting another tape and timing out
> and cancelling the backup job. All data on that first
> tape has been properly backed up!!
>
> Paul
> paulrozanski@comcast.net

I figured that part out before I even came to this forum to start asking for help. My request for help was because it was only failing one out of 3 to 4 days. It was not a consistent failure so it was hard to troubleshoot. I was asking for help about how to troubleshoot this, not what the problem was.

Go ahead and close this, I've had to settle with another solution because we could not find a way to troubleshoot this to identify the exact problem. I do not have another library to test with and the client is not going to purchase one unless I can verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is hardware. Since I have figured out a work-around, they are satisfied so I guess I am.

Thanks for your efforts though.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Thomas,

Thanks! We will wait for further updates from you!