cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media "damaged" after update to Revision 7170

Kima
Level 2

Hi all,

Last saturday we updated our Backup-Server from Backup Exed 11d Rev 6235 to Revision 7170. The Update performed without problems.

But now since then, I can't use all of my tapes any more. Everyone is showing up as "damaged" in the Backup Exec Console. What can I do to resolve this?

Every help is appreciated.

Regards,

Alessandro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kima
Level 2

We went through the assistent for device configuration (not sure, if it's called so, cause we run the Console in German) and used the Symantec-Mediadriver for all mediadevices, now it seems to work!

Thank you for the various answers!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

What kind of media are you using, operating system...?

Are your BE updated?

Check if your "media" is in HCL.

Take a look if Removable Storage is disbled and stoped.

Did you reboot the server?

You reinstall symantec tape drives?

Did you test with new tapes?

Did you run a clean tape?

did you try with ntbackup?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Download and install the latest syamantec tape device drivers and reboot the server .

Make sure you reboot in correct order

shut down both , bring up your tape device 1st and once it is insitalize bring up your media server .

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

v11d build 7170 (with SP5) was a VERY stable build, but is out of support life  now, so start thinking about replacing it when the budget allows

But to your problem: 

if all else fails, can you re-label one of the old  tapes and try a backup job?  If that succeeds, you can at least keep backing up, tho needing manual intervention until all tapes have bee re-labeled

(labeling the tape will make any data on it inaccessible to Backup Exec so don't just relabel them all right away)

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re: Everyone is showing up as "damaged" in the Backup Exec Console.

What EXACTLY does that mean?  I have never seen BE show a "damaged" tape.

Kima
Level 2

We went through the assistent for device configuration (not sure, if it's called so, cause we run the Console in German) and used the Symantec-Mediadriver for all mediadevices, now it seems to work!

Thank you for the various answers!