cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media rotation

falcon3
Level 3

Hi,

New to BA 2012.I've created an incremental backup job with full backup on Friday and incremental Mo-Th.

How the media rotation would work - After full backup Friday I insert second tape for 4 incremental jobs, of the full plus 4 incremental will be saved on the same tape?

What is the order of proper configuration for a single server. My logic tells me the following, but not sure:

1. Configure storage i.e. tape drive or disk drive

2. Create media sets with rules.

3. Assign media to sets.

4. Create backup job.

done

Thanks... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

OPP = overwrite protection period

AP = append period.

We often use acronyms in this forum to cut down on the typing.  If you are not sure what the acronyms stand for, check my discussion below which is pinned to the top of the forum.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/glossary-make-sense-alphabet-soup

Whether you use one tape or 2 will depend on your requirement.  Some people will use separate tapes because they want to have a longer OPP for the full backup vs. the incremental backups.  If you want to use 2 tapes, then for your Tue. incremental backup, specify overwrite.  This will make the job use a new tape.  The rest of the incremental backups will use append.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do not assign the media to the media sets.  If you do, then the media would assume the OPP and AP of the media set, i.e. if you said that the OPP is 2 weeks and the allocated date of the tape is today, it would be protected for 2 weeks from today.  Leave the tapes in the scratch media set for your job to pick them up.  After your job has written to them, they would be automatically moved to the targeted media set.

If you want to append to a tape, make sure that your AP is long enough so that your last job starts before the end of the AP.  Remember the AP starts from the time the tape is first overwritten.

falcon3
Level 3

Thank you,

I've stayted I'm new to BE, what's OPP/AP.

Do I dedicate one separate tape for full backup (Monday) and 1 tape for 4 append incremental jobs (Tue-Fri), or 1 tape can span full and 4 incrementals.

How do I do this?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

OPP = overwrite protection period

AP = append period.

We often use acronyms in this forum to cut down on the typing.  If you are not sure what the acronyms stand for, check my discussion below which is pinned to the top of the forum.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/glossary-make-sense-alphabet-soup

Whether you use one tape or 2 will depend on your requirement.  Some people will use separate tapes because they want to have a longer OPP for the full backup vs. the incremental backups.  If you want to use 2 tapes, then for your Tue. incremental backup, specify overwrite.  This will make the job use a new tape.  The rest of the incremental backups will use append.

falcon3
Level 3

Thank you

I'm pulling my hair with licensing. Installed license for BE 2012 SBS 2011 and here is what I got:

Any advise?