cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server upgrade to Windows 2012. DLO and BE help

RicohNorway
Level 5

Hi

As stated in the title, i recently upgraded the OS for my media server. To make a long story short, i simply did that because Symantec did not want to give me support because i was running BE2014 on windows 2003 server. Hence the upgrade and now i need to verify the following:

1. I have installed the DLO 7.5 and to restore the data i did following:
    1. Installed DLO 7.5
    2. Installed the SQL 2008 during the installation.
    3. Once done i simply replaced the contect of data folder with the one i backed up.

Is that the correct way to restore all the data etc? Things seems to be working fine apart from some error in the History tab. And i feel it is going a bit slow with the backup on the user end.

2. Second question is, before i restore the BE2014 data, please do provide with best practice articles so i dont do anything wrong there. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. That should be fine. Just check that all DLO clients are reporting into the media server correctly.

2. The process is pretty much the same. INstall BE 2014 and then install SP1 and any subsequent patches. Stop the BE services, including the SQL service, and then rename Data/Catalogs to something like Data.old. simply copy the backed up Data?Catalogs folders you have into the BE installation directory and start up the services.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

1. That should be fine. Just check that all DLO clients are reporting into the media server correctly.

2. The process is pretty much the same. INstall BE 2014 and then install SP1 and any subsequent patches. Stop the BE services, including the SQL service, and then rename Data/Catalogs to something like Data.old. simply copy the backed up Data?Catalogs folders you have into the BE installation directory and start up the services.

Thanks!

RicohNorway
Level 5

Thanks for a quick response Craig. I will follow this procedure.

Another question, can i Install SQL 2012 aswell? i was thinking, now that i have Windows 2012 server, with all the latest software from symantec, why not use SQL 2012 express aswell. Is it a big hastle to move database from 2008 to 2012?

CraigV

SQL Express 2012 is supported. Should be a simple case of installing BE 2014 and then upgrading to SQL Express 2014. You might have to run bemig.exe to migrate the BE services.

As always, grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders before doing ANY upgrade, and make sure you definitely have bedb.bak.

Thanks!

RicohNorway
Level 5

Could you please provide me with a article which shows the procedure step by step, as I have a big environment. Cant afford to do any mistakes. Thanks.

CraigV

Check below, and only perform the upgrade if you're comfortable with it:

http://www.cosonok.com/2013/01/upgrading-sql-server-2005-express-to.html

Thanks!

RicohNorway
Level 5

'Thanks alot Craig, i will give it a try. I will come back if i need further assitance.

CraigV

Cool beans!