cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine

justCharlie
Level 4

Lately I have gotten this error message when backing up a remote server.

Backup- 192.168.1.25V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine 192.168.1.25.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
Unable to attach to \\192.168.1.25\C:.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Note: Click 'Edit Selection List...' to display the View Selection Details tab of the job's selection list. Select the entry with the server that no longer exists and click Delete to remove it.Edit Selection List...
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Unable to initialize Remote Agent

What I have found was, if I turn off the Windows Firewall then the backup went through fine. So, here's what I need to know. What ports/application do I need to open or put on the exception list of the Windows Firewall so that BackupExec is able to backup my folder?

Many thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

See 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22990

About using Backup Exec with firewalls

(Also see the two referenced TechNotes at the bottom of the article)