cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media set configuration strategy

Michael_G2
Level 3

Hi.

I'm a new user of BE and I'm trying to implement my backup strategy.

I'm using BE2014 under 2008R2 with a Tandberg LTO-5 HH tape drive.

I want to separate the full and incremental jobs on different tapes.

So I decide to have 2 media sets : "FULL" & "INCREMENTAL". I define a backup set with 2 jobs :

- full job associated to "FULL" media set (every monday)

- incremental job associated to "INCREMENTAL" media set (every other days)

The problem I have is if I forget to switch the media inserted in the tape drive (on monday, or tuesday) from "INCREMENTAL" to "FULL" (or reverse), BE automatically associates the media into the media set associated with the job to do.

How to tell BE to use only media that are associated with the specified job ?

If the inserted media does not fit the media set needed for the current job, I want BE asks me for changing the tape. Is there a way to do this ?

thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Media sets ONLY control how long to overwrite protect or append to a tape, they do not stop one job from moving a tape from one media set to another (as an overwrite operation)  If teh tape is overwriteable and is the only tape available (or the first tape that meets a defiend set of rules that is available) then it will be used and moved to the other media set.

In your situation  with a stand alone drive - I would make the backup jobs eject the tape at the end of the job - as then a human has to do something for it to then overwrite the wrong tape. If you want to put all the incrementals on 1 tape then you will need 3 jobs - 1 for full with eject at end, 1 covering the incremental for days of the week that you do not want to eject and one covering the final incremental whioch you do want to eject.

I would also look at my media overwrite protection settings so that a tape left in the drive cannot be overwritten too early

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Media sets ONLY control how long to overwrite protect or append to a tape, they do not stop one job from moving a tape from one media set to another (as an overwrite operation)  If teh tape is overwriteable and is the only tape available (or the first tape that meets a defiend set of rules that is available) then it will be used and moved to the other media set.

In your situation  with a stand alone drive - I would make the backup jobs eject the tape at the end of the job - as then a human has to do something for it to then overwrite the wrong tape. If you want to put all the incrementals on 1 tape then you will need 3 jobs - 1 for full with eject at end, 1 covering the incremental for days of the week that you do not want to eject and one covering the final incremental whioch you do want to eject.

I would also look at my media overwrite protection settings so that a tape left in the drive cannot be overwritten too early

Michael_G2
Level 3

Thank you Collin for your advice. I did not think to use the ejection after the job completes.

Simple and efficient solution, thank you !