cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory leak in beremote.exe

Howard_Brown
Level 4
This is weird. It only seems to be an issue on our Exchange (2003) server back-end (information store).

beremote.exe was using 455MB of RAM this morning, when it was not performing a backup.

Anybody seen this?
6 REPLIES 6

olivares
Level 2

Yup, I've seen it. I get it now with 11d rev7170. It will grow as much as 1.5 GB if you let it! I've opened a case with Symantec and they have no current solution. As of a month ago, it's been escalated up to development. The truth is you won't see a solution or hotfix until SP1.

What I do now to resolve the issue is... RDP into the server and manually restart the service everyday after the backup completes. I don’t' have a scheduled task to do it because I don't want to forget about it.  

Chris_Healey
Level 2
I jut saw it this morning and it was consumming nearly 1.5Gb of RAM. The previous version had no such error. I hope this gets fix right away as I have many server and i cannot be expected to babysit them.

Howard_Brown
Level 4
Does Symantec plan on acknowleging this, or what? It doesn;t look like the mystery LU patch I applied yesterday helped...

Jeff_Clark
Level 3
I too have seen this memory leak. Not just on an Exchange 2003 server but plain old Windows 2003 servers and not consistently each night...not that I've seen anyway.

Like others I go in and restart the Backup Exec Remote Agent service when our monitoring system displays memory usage is high.

Jeff

Gunther_Vanwael
Level 3
My colleague discovered also this memory leak this weekend on 2 domain controllers (Windows 2003 R2)

Backupexec 11d ver. 7170

There was an unexpected shutdown on 1 server and the other server had low memory warnings.

After his investigation, he found that the process beremote.exe was eating up all the memory.

My manager asked me to open a case for that.

Hope Symantec will come with a fix.

Regards

Gunther_Vanwael
Level 3
I have checked the fileversions for the agent on the domain controllers and seems that they are running on version 11.0.7170.0 instead of 11.0.7170.14.

Will upgrade to this patchlevel and see what the outcome is.

In the meantime I have asked my colleague to check the memory behavior on the machines that having the agents installed with the correct patchlevel.

I have found that it is a know issue found in version 6235 and solved with HF2.

Regards