Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Backup Exec databases

YonatanC
Level 5

hi,

My scenario:

Two separate physical servers, each one with a standalone installation of Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP4.

Each installation have it's own database and catalog.

Is there a way to merge the database of Server1 to the other Server2 while keeping the catalog and database of Server2?

One more thing:

When I try to restore by resource, and choose a certain resrouce to restore, it shows me the media it's on, even if it's way past the catalog limit (say, a backup 4 years ago, while catalog is only saved for 3 months). The media might not be cataloged, so I can't see the content, but at least I know the media barcode. 

Is this information retrived from the catalog or from the databse?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The media label is recognized when an inventory is run and this information is stored in the DB.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6

Nopes, the DBs cannot be merged.

Device & Media info is present in DB as well.

YonatanC
Level 5

And as for the second question? perhaps the data I need is on the catalog...?

VJware
Level 6

To view the content of the media, yes, you will need to catalog.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Just catalog the media you require to restore from on the server you want to restore from.

Or, to manually merge your DBs, you'd need to catalog every tape on the opposite media server...long and laborious, but the only way to do so.

You'd need to select the correct date range to restore from if your tape is 4 years old as well.

Thanks!

YonatanC
Level 5

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing

Below is my Restore dialog box.

When I want to restore some old data which is no longer in the catalog (say 2 years ago), I can still see all my backup history, and when I click a specific date I can see the Media Label used for the backup.

Does all this data reside in the Catalog files, even when catalog is defined to be saved for only 6 month?

180px_Capture_0.JPG

VJware
Level 6

The media label is recognized when an inventory is run and this information is stored in the DB.

YonatanC
Level 5

Thank you

Colin_Weaver

If you have conflicting media names (Either Barcodes, tape labels, bkf filenames, img folder names) then be aware that merging catalog files can cause inconsistencies between catalog and inventory that an inventory job won't fully resolve (unless you start with a clean database)

As such you should only copy catalog files around between servers that have both run backup jobs as along as you are sure there are no media name conflicts.

YonatanC
Level 5

Hi Colin,

As VJware answered, the data I really need resides in the database and not in the catalog.

So what I really need is to merge the database and as VJware said, it's impossible.

But thank you anyway for the reply