cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate BEDB from SQL Express to Full SQL on Different Machine

FORGIVEN
Level 4

BE 2014 on Server 2008 R2. Currently using the default BE SQL express for the DB. We have a different server with a full SQL 2014 install that we need to move the DB to (and any additional files that need to go with the DB). I have searched the forums but do not see migrating to a different full SQL server. Can anyone point me to a KB article or provide the steps to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Create a new SQL instance for the BEDB on the SQL Server. You should not use a production instance because there will be times when you need to restart the instance for BE.

2) Go to the BE installation directory and use the BEUtility to to the migration.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH37752

BTW, have you thought about how you are going to recover BE in case of a total failure of the media server and the SQL server where the BEDB resides?  This process is not straight-forward.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Create a new SQL instance for the BEDB on the SQL Server. You should not use a production instance because there will be times when you need to restart the instance for BE.

2) Go to the BE installation directory and use the BEUtility to to the migration.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH37752

BTW, have you thought about how you are going to recover BE in case of a total failure of the media server and the SQL server where the BEDB resides?  This process is not straight-forward.

FORGIVEN
Level 4

Help me understand what you mean by "recovering BE in the event of a total failure of media server and SQL server...."

To answer your question, i have not thought about that because if the media server fails, i won't be able to recover BE anyway, right? Or i must be missing something?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Suppose your data centre got completely wiped out and you have only your backup disks or tapes, how are you going to recover your data centre at a DR site?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look @ this blog as well for what to expect when using the non-default SQL instance - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/using-custom-sql-instance-backup-exec-installs

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As a separate point we do not recommend that you install the BEDB in a SQL instance with the databases for any production applications in the same instance. (primarily because of potentially extra steps/complications if you have to DR restore the SQL databases.)

As such I hope you reason for moving to a remote, full SQL instance is not consolidation of SQL instances.

Oh and pkh is correct in that of you lost both the Backup Exec server and the SQL server at the same time then the disaster recovery steps are more complicated but of course also depend on what you did to protect both servers before your disaster occurred