cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate to new disk based storage. Duplcate option loses rentention policy.

GregBl
Level 2

We recenlty purchased new Data Domains(Disk based storage device).

I want to copy all the backups from our old Data Domains to our new one. I see the "Duplicate option." That does what I want, but it doesn't retain the retention policies.

I want to copy everything exactly like it is. Is that possible?

~Greg.

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can replicate the data within the DataDomain's, and reinventory the data off the new shares.  Assuming yuo own the replication licenses.

Duplicate can do this as well just fine, You would I think then apply a new retention policy to it, it wont keep the existing one.

You really should look at using the BOOST function of the DD's with the BackupExec Dedupe.  It's pretty sweet and worlds better than the native BackupExec dedupe.

GregBl
Level 2

We are replacing three DDs with just one. When you setup replication, the destination has to be a disabled, raw, file system. So that may work with the first set of data we need to copy, but not after. And we would still have to reinventory as you said. I could just straight copy the data from one CIFS share to another and reinvintory. I would if it would keep its retention values. I don't kow if it will.

If it was just setting up retention for all the data at one time, no problem. But there are multiple backups that have different retention needs. I would have to do a small set a time. Which is going ot be very time consuming.

Although we were already a Data Domain customer, and have always like them. We did look at a lot of other backup storage devices. Boost, server to target backups, and a few other tie ins that DD had with Symantec made the choice pretty clear.

And thanks for the reply.